Notify
Tools

Alvin Lindens Stockmaking Books
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Gentlemen,

I just received the three books by Alvin Linden on stockmaking Samworth Publishing put out in the early '40's. These are first edition, first printing and they have all of the full size pattern sheets. The only review I can give is this: if you are thinking of building a stock, you need these books. If only for the information on how to make many of the necessary tools from stuff around the house/shop.

Go to www.abe.com and enter Alvin Linden at the author box, you will then find at least 30 vintage booksellers listings. I paid $50.00 for these, copies and re-releases will of course be less.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR--

THe Linden books are great...the fourth was to be checkering and carving but Alvin died before it was complete. Monte Kennedy was ask to write the last book and did so. It's a great addition to what you have now.

You now need Dave Westbrook's book and your library of DIY stockmaking will be complete.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Jack: Linden's books are informative and very entertaining but when it comes to actually building the stock, Westbrook's instructions and photos are much more helpful. Great book. My only gripe is that he only deals with starting from a semi-inletted stock, not a raw blank which is what interests me. I'm in the middle of my first project and Westbrook's book is the only one on the bench. Good Luck.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who buys wood should read Lindens book...I'm always amazed at how many gun nuts see only color, how many only see the grain from the profile, how many think one walnut is as good as another, how little they care about the number of pores in a stock, the history of the wood, how hard it is, and they sure have no clue as to how it was grown, cured and dried, or if it is dry in the first place, all these issues are broght to light in Lindens book, that and several years of study is very enlightening...

The above has a lot to do with the plastic stock preference of todays shooter, he thought all wood warped, shrunk and changed your POI...not so say the experts! wood is as stable as plastic, after all a plastic stock will warp near a fire, in the car trunk and in the back seat in the sun, now I have fouled the holy graill of SS an plastic gun nuts...oh well!~ [Razz]

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Atkinson

I like both wood and synthetic, synthetic being fiberglass McMillans. Lumping everything into the plastic category is a smear campaign [Big Grin]

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried twice in the last couple months to order Linden's book, but couldn't seem to make a complete sale due to "out of stock", "order cancelled", etc.... problems with internet e-tailers.
I finally (I think) found one in stock for around $65 and ordered it today, hope I don't run into another roadblock. Guess I should have bought it at a gunshow a couple years ago, but I thought that the $95 the guy at the booth wanted for it was a little too high for my pocketbook.
I'm really looking forward to having the reference material and the patterns to help me with my future stockwork. Heck, I might even get good enough to sell a stock or two someday! [Smile] - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Another great reference for the 'Modern American, Light, Classic' stock are the set of full size drawings by Jerry Fisher. I assume they're still available somwhere, maybe even Jerry his own self.

The drawings are very clear and concise with lots of relationship lines that explain the American Classic style. They were in Brownell's for years. Try there first.

<GWN>
posted
I recently bought the Al Linden book through the Abe.com site listed on another thread in this forum. Used, but in great shape with all full size pattern sheets for $65 + S&H. Then last night I was looking in the Brownells' catalog(#55, page 189) for the Wesbrook book, and what do I see directly above, but the Al Linden book for $49.95 retail. Oh well, maybe this will help someone else save a little money.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack-
I just got a copy of the W70 drawing from Mr. Fisher and am having it framed to put above the bench. He has a Mauser pattern also, perhaps others. As you say, they are excellent reference drawings and a joy to look at. He had a few of them on hand and it seemed that supplies wern't limited.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, what is the title of Monte's book? It sounds like one needs a home on my gun book shelf.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Strawboss--

THe book is "Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" By Monte Kennedy.

It might be noted that the photos in the book were mostly done by the late Bob Emmons. That job set him on the road to becoming one of the finest stockmakers the world has ever seen in his own right.

The "audio history" cassett tape of Bob Emmons available through the ACGG.org site is worth every single penny. It's FULL of good information as well as his bio.