New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have new Ruger M77 300WSM . . . went out and shot the thing today, and damn if that trigger isn't a beast! I'm accustomed to the smooth trigger of my Encore and even lighter trigger on my Contender . . .

Anyway, I was wondering if installing a Timney Trigger was something that someone who was reasonable tool-savvy could handle, or if was a task better left to a gunsmith . . .

I can be emailed at alterna2627@swtexas.net

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timmey triggers work well I have a freind that uses them on his rugers they are nice. I put Spec tech triggers on mine a little cheaper easy to put on work well I had no trouble getting 2.25 lbs with the ones I put on. I have use 4 of them so far they seem just fine. They sure beat the factory ones.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
I have one in my Winchester M70 Heavy varmint, all I can say is I love it.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put one in my 77MkII in 270 - it's a bit fiddly, but if as you say, you're reasonably tool savvy, you won't have any problems.

Best thing I ever did to the ruger!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timneys were not drop-in propositions on my M70s (never tried on a Ruger). Installation was fiddly enough for me to ask a gunsmith to perform this step. Once properly installed, they are serviceable triggers. FWIW.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've put Timney triggers on two Rugers and it is a lot easier than putting one on a Winchester 70. One admonition though, I'd recommend using a hand file rather than a Dremmel tool for the little bit of fitting required. It is easy to take too much metal off, making the safety "unsafe" and requiring purchase of a new part. But if you take your time and use a hand file you can complete the job in 30-45 minutes. The directions are pretty clear and easy to follow.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips . . . I'm thinking I'll be installing one after payday.

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post

I was able to put one in my Ruger RSM.

I'm as close to mechanically inept as anyone you'll meet. Like it's been mentioned, there is some filing that you'll need to do to get the safety to engage correctly. I also had to take an exacto knife and remove a bit of wood inside to get it all to fit.

I think that you'll do fine.

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote