Find
Notify
Tools

Welding Up Internal Threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
I was at gun show today and a gunsmith that was there was telling me that he knows of some smiths that are so fanatical about getting the best accuracy from action's that they weld up the threads inside the receiver and the re-cut the insuring that they are truly squared up. I asked if it had any affect on the receiver ring? He stated that they re-heat treat them.

I was wondering if any one has heard of this process? As all I have ever heard is that welding the front ring will ruin a
receiver.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do welding with some frequency (get it?), and it seems to me welding the threads would pull the receiver out of round to the point of creating more problems than it would solve- in fact I think it would render it unusable. Heat treating would have nothing to do with correcting that situation, I believe.

It would be rather difficult to accomplish, too Wink

Then again, I'm not a gunsmith.

...and I wonder how long before this reply is deleted.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the SOB is blowing smoke up your azz. Find another smith.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Having rethreaded a brazillion receivers I think those who make such claims are so anal that they are in dire need of a proctoscope exam. From head to toe!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
From my point of view it can be done but And this is a long and drawn out but... It must be done with the most absolute care for maintaining the proper metallurgy of the receiver And that right there would negate any savings in money as opposed to using a new match grade action.

One: the exact composition of the steel used in the receiver is not known and finding out is a little on the expensive side. But it can be done

Two: unless the weld is performed by a very skilled Tig welder with the correct filler material the weld will be a mismatch of the base metal and could possibly be a weak point in the action.

Now all that said If you were to know what the action was composed of. Ad if it was a proper weld. and if it was re heat treated then yes it could work but it would damn sure be a lot of work and be expensive. But that weld better be X-ray quality and even then I wouldn't trust it.
Like other said it's BS and smoke up your arse

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Having rethreaded a brazillion receivers I think those who make such claims are so anal that they are in dire need of a proctoscope exam. From head to toe!

Thought a Brazillion was a hot chic from south America Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
This smith was saying it was a waste of time also. He does not do it. He was telling me of people that do this and end up charging HUGE bucks for a gun that MAY shoot a tiny bit better.

I was just curious as I have heard really reputable smith's on this forum say that welding ruins the receiver ring and can not be fixed by re-heat treating.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I think it is an excellent idea. Machine the threads out, perform postive material identification, and weld with the correct welding procedure. After welding we will even perform non destructive testing of the weld. Send them all to me for welding, I have a small torch for my automated TIG machine that would really work fine. It should not cost much more than $1000.00, a small price to pay for perfection. Big Grin BTW this is a vain attempt at humor, although I really can weld them.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
O
I was just curious as I have heard really reputable smith's on this forum say that welding ruins the receiver ring and can not be fixed by re-heat treating.

Depends on the filler material but in general Yes it ruins the receiver.

Welding on a piece of heat treated steel is never a good way to accomplish a repair Unless the strength of the weld and HAZ was taken into consideration when engineering the part.
Welding just does to many known and unknown thing to the steel to make it worth while

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody looking for the utmost in accuracy would single point the threads to straighten them and turn and thread the barrel oversize. I see absolutely no reason to weld it up.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Anybody looking for the utmost in accuracy would single point the threads to straighten them and turn and thread the barrel oversize. I see absolutely no reason to weld it up.
Butch

I am infant in smithing having just taking a year of machining class's at local community college but this the way that I understand would be the best bet. Hoping to learn more this summer at an NRA summer program and next year getting some actual smith training.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

Yep at that rate you may as well weld the barrel to the receiver Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Siam_Krag:
I was at gun show today and a gunsmith that was there was telling me that he knows of some smiths that are so fanatical about getting the best accuracy from action's that they weld up the threads inside the receiver and the re-cut the insuring that they are truly squared up. I asked if it had any affect on the receiver ring? He stated that they re-heat treat them.

I would like to know how much smithing this guy has done. I am always amazed at the BS some "experts" will spew.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience that some folks' gunsmithing must be kinda like having been in combat(sarcastic grin): you know, the guys who just CAN'T WAIT to tell you just how salty and experienced they are and just how much a hero they've been and just how many enemies they've killed and all that drivel, while the fellows who've really been there and done that usually are fairly quiet about it unless asked.

Butch is correct, and that other guy was blowing smoke.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is how it was done before CNC made custom precision actions affordable/popssible around here. Guys still true up the Walmart special bottom of the basement Rem 700 and Win 70's. There was a reason they were cheaper than their brethren, in my opinion anyhow. Those cheap matte finished guns in the cheap composites that looked like asphalt were big time out of concentric - .025" common with many .050" out.

quote:
Butch

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the concentration of BS is higher at a gun show than it is on the internet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have been a mold maker for over 22 years, most of those years have been spent
TIG welding every mold steel you can imagine with parent metal. I have a tiny torch!!! Wink
The I.D. of barrel threads makes for a challenging weld even for someone like myself.
It can be done but.....

I call B.S.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

tu2

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have a tiny torch!

I don't think I would go around advertising that on the internet.
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote