Find
Notify
Tools

44-40 barrel rework to 44 Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

I have a chance to get a Winchester 94 barrel in 44-40, was wondering if it can be rechambered into 44 magnum.

The barrel is 20", the barrel after work will have to be at least 18.5" long to comply with silly Canadian gun laws.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I suggest you look into hot loading the 44-40 first. Might be all you really need.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
No, it can't be just rechambered to .44 Mag.!! The .44/40 is a necked down .45 Long Colt case, and is bigger around at the breech end than the .44 Magnum. You'd have to set the barrel back enough to remove this sloppy condition before rechambering. But it still should be at least the legal length !!

[ 05-27-2003, 22:26: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You also need to slug the barrel before you start. 44-40 barrels may run from .426" up to .431"; 44 Magnums need at least a .429" barrel.
There are lots of 44 Magnum 1894's out there, it would probably be much cheaper to get one of them instead of trying to re-chamber a fairly rare (at least for an 1894) rifle. You could also give Numrich Gun Parts a call, they may probably have 44 magnum barrels for sale.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies,

The barrel is actually going on an SMLE (see other thread). The guy that advertised 44-40 barrel can read my mind and said he also have .44mag barrel.

Problem solved [Smile]

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote