Find
Notify
Tools

Krupp barrels? tang peeps?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey everybody,

went to the gunshow today, saw a few things, was surprised actually.

There was a mannlicher stocked mauser (markings not clear enough to tell which action) with a krupps octagon barrel on it, rechambered to 8mm-06. Looked to be in good shape, had the change purse grip (what do you call that sack shaped thing?), two little cross thingies on the stock.

What I am curious about is:

1. Are krupp something barrels any good? It had a full length rib but it appears to be sweated or soldered on maybe.

2. ever seen a tang peep sight where the peep folds into the tang, just has a little finger groove to lift it. very cool little deal.

only 495 for it. other than the cheekpiece which I didn't like the styling of it was a cool rifle.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Was that sight like this?

This one is spring loaded with a tab release. I think it may end up on the 8x60 I'm working toward building.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that looks like it!!! it was engraved too, looked nice.

YOu finished moving?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is only a sample size of one but last year I bought a German Guild style rifle in 7X57 with a Krupp barrel. Octagon to round with full length rib running along the top of the barrel with integral front sight base. It shoots very well.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between the World Wars, the two most popular barrel makers in Germany were Krupp and Bohler, which were steel factories with extensive government contracts.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those tangs were fairly common on German rifles, drillings too.

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That tang sight is a (not 100% sure of the spelling) Baille-Grohman.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just jumpin' in- there was a swing away rear peep for the M-S; it attached on the left side of the action, maybe at the bolt release.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote