Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding problem on M70 Safari express!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some help from the pros!

I have a Winchester M70 classic, Safari express, .416 Rem mag. Bedded i an Accurate innovations stock, wearing Williams bottom metal and Williams extractor. Out of the box, in factory stock, it had a tendency to spit out cartridge #2 and #3 from the magazine if you ejected the first round hard/fast.

Some searching on this forum told me the problem likely was a weak magazine spring so I went a head and ordered a spring from Jim Wisner and assumed that would be the end of the problem.

Now my gun is back from the smith in the new stock and wearing the above mentioned after market parts. It feeds nicely if you do it gently. How ever it still spits out round #2 and #3 from the magazine when you eject the first round with too much force.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what needs to be done to make the gun stop spitting rounds?!

I know one obvious answer is to send the rifle to Dennis Olsson, Mark Penrod or some one with a simmilar reputation. Problem is I live in Europe and I know of no gunsmith in my country who has more than rudimentary knowledge when it comes to feeding issues. They are more of the "guess-try-hope-try again-well it feeds good enough most of the time so why are you complaining?" type of gun wizards. So I need a fix I might be able to perform my self or some step by step instructions to send along with the gun if I have to bring it back to the gunsmith.

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would be well served with a mag box that is wider up front to get those cartridges back under the rails. How to do that is another matter all together.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm almost certain the problem is with the magazine box. You may be able to slightly bend the top edge outward, if it is angle in now, just a bit to give the rounds more purchase on the feed rails.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or..In the spirit of working on the cheapest part first, yyou could try either thinning the "walls" that stick up inside the action..maybe even removing or cutting away at the front.

Perhaps they could even be bent outward as a far as possible.

Nobody claims these guns were designed by gunsmiths!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but I fixed a feeding problem in a Winchester 70 Classic in 7-08 by spreading the magazine box where the shoulder of the case sits. I had to grind on the outside of the box to get it to fit in the receiver after it was spread. My grinding isn't pretty but you don't see it when the rifle is assembled. I tried bending the field lips first but that alone didn't help.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
I am not a gunsmith but I fixed a feeding problem in a Winchester 70 Classic in 7-08 by spreading the magazine box where the shoulder of the case sits. I had to grind on the outside of the box to get it to fit in the receiver after it was spread. My grinding isn't pretty but you don't see it when the rifle is assembled. I tried bending the field lips first but that alone didn't help.

Why not mill out (grind) the inside walls of the magazine to accomplish the same thing in 1 operation?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great forum, so much knowledge and information! Thank you all!

Problem solved using your information and a Dremel tool.
I grinded the sides of the magazine box about where the cartridge shoulders rest, about 1" long and 1-2/10" deep, smoothened the sides of the cut out and put the gun back together. No more spitting cartridges!!!

It feels great to be the master gunsmith solving any and all feeding problems on my own! hilbily

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly my problem. .416 Rem. First and third cases down jump the bolt on cycling. Got a new mag box and am proceding with bending and cutting. After bending a bit and watching closely I am sure this is the problem.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
There is a discussion on the medium bore forum that will probably shed some light on this problem.

Mauser designs specific internal magazine specs for cartridges of differing dimensions.

Here are a couple of posts that deal W/internal magazine dimensions for different cartridges.

You could use the formula in this next post to calculate the proper internal magazine dimensions.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...581068951#2581068951

This post elaborates on the need to consider case taper in the equasion.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...531078951#5531078951

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is the problem. Winchester designed the Model 70 box for the 30-06 and quit right there.

The reason to grind on the outside is because it is a thin sheet metal box, so why weaken it? And you only have to grind the outside a little on the top to fit it into the action. The grinding is also hidden on the outside.