THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Winchester Pre-64 pre-war cloverleaf conversion pics.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Pre-64 pre-war cloverleaf conversion pics.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Here's a few pics of a "newer" Pre64 action that I converted to the pre-war clover leaf style. It's gotten to be a fairly popular conversion around my shop. I do these on current M70 actions as well. I first screw some scope bases on the action and clamp it upside down in the mill vise. X & Y zero it inside the rear guard screw hole and then run around it with a roughing mill and a 2 degree carbide finish mill. For those that ask if this is an exact replica of a pre-war clover leaf, I don't know. I'd hazard a guess that the the old Winchesters varied somewhat. Just a simple way to dress up a plain tang.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. It sure makes shaping the grip easy and streamlined. Good work.

Posts: 33 | Location: western oklahoma | Registered: 11 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really is very nicely done. With that said, get back to work on my barrel! dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I first screw some scope bases on the action and clamp it upside down in the mill vise. X & Y zero it inside the rear guard screw hole and then run around it with a roughing mill and a 2 degree carbide finish mill

Sounds easy enough, and looks nice also...!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

Does that alteration effectively change the forward rearward angle of the wood on the top of the grip?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Gunmaker

Does that alteration effectively change the forward rearward angle of the wood on the top of the grip?

Nope. It just makes it easier to make a slim grip. The tang angle of the pre-64s I've worked on make a nice grip profile. It's easier to make them slim as viewed from the side than a Dak76. The 76 is quite flat in comparison.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Mark Penrod does this as well and it looks quite nice.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,

That wouldn't be a .264 Win Mag by chance would it? Cool

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Don't mean to hijack your thread but this is a Montana Left Hand action that I recontoured the rear tang on.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Sounds easy enough, and looks nice also...!

It does look nice and is one of the things that make the pre-War version of the M70 so attractive. The ONLY reason Winchester dropped the cloverleaf tang was to save themselves the trouble of actually having to inlet the tang. All that metal sitting on top of the stock would just cover up a sloppy oversized inletting job.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
James,

That wouldn't be a .264 Win Mag by chance would it? Cool

It was a 375 length Pre 64. Not a Stainless new style one. I've seen a stainless one come and go!

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gilding the lily.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote