New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber three position safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 2 yr old 84 Montana came with a 2 position safety. The bolt opens (to easily) with the safety on, causing me concern when in brush,etc.
I inquired Kimber about replacement to 3 position locking safety. They want $50, plus shipping both ways and require the entire rifle be sent them.
Questions:
1. Are there other options than Kimber's?
2. Why do they need the (entire) rifle?
Seems sending only the bolt would suffice.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
$50 plus shipping sounds like a deal to me and I would do it in a heartbeat.
You couldn't even get the parts together for $50 ( even if you could get them from Kimber who probably want to fit it themselves for liability reasons) then you'd have to pay a "smith" to put it in.
What is $50 plus $15 or so to ship?
I'm sure they need the barreled action and bolt so they can insure that the sear engagement is safe upon installing the new safety. Pull the scope, pull the gun out of the stock and just ship it to them.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
$50 would real hard to beat. I can see why they need the barreled action for fitting. I would guestion the need for the stock. But, a couple lbs for the wood won't add much the majority of the weight is the steel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It's going off...after the deer rifle season. It's a sweet piece, with a trigger smooth as silk, weighing just 6.5 lbs scoped and loaded. It's McMillen-like stock doesn't weigh much just hate to take a gamble on mailing it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my 84M's and they charged me $75 ea to do the safety. Good decision on your part to wait till after the season.

If you handload you could make up rounds that fit a little tighter in the chamber and that will help keep the bolt closed. Thats what you have to do with a Brno 21/22.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote