New
Find
Notify
Tools

250-3000 Model 70 build feeding question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Win70 (Classic) CRF short action (actually a .308 FN SPR marked action bought from CDNN a year or so ago) that I'm thinking of doing something with.

I'm leaning towards it becoming a 250 Savage (I'd like a quarterbore and the old Savage cartridge just appeals to me). As this action is designed for a max cartridge overall length of 2.8", and the 250-3000's COAL is nearly 0.3" less than that, the action is, at least, long enough.

In looking at the Winchester parts catalog, I've seen that there are special magazines, followers, and springs specifically for the 22-250 in the short action M70's, so I'm wondering whether I can just have a 250-3000 barrel installed on the action, and have fine feeding with the current .308-sized parts, or might I need the 22-250 parts (even though the max COAL of the 22-250 is 0.2" shorter than the 250-3000), or might it likely need a gunsmith's attention to feeding?

Of course, I'm hoping I can just send it off to Pac-Nor or someone and get a barrel put on and be done with it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Posts: 203 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't work with the current follower and spring, you can always order one and install it your self in 30 seconds. Are the rails close enough to work for the Savage? Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or you could just buy a 25 wssm featherweight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just find 4 250 Sav rounds and try them.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25wssm is next to last on my list after the 223wssm. Useless cartridges!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingYou can help the situation a whole lot.
My 250-3k handles the Speer 120 gr. bullet seated to 2.700". Your magazine is big enough just Throat the barrel accordingly. Neigh sayers may take exception to the long throat creating inacuracy but so far I haven't seen it. beer
It makes a great 200yd. plus deer rifle. clap BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote