New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 barrel contour
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some input on a barrel contour for a 9.3x64 Brenneke.

I want a nice carrying hunting rifle that is going to be built on a CZ 550 action.

I am thinking the barrel should be between .650 and .675 at the muzzle, 23 inches total length for nice light sporter weight barrel.

What do you all think?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Also posted in medium bores.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is 23" long and .625 at the muzzle.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Mine is 23" long and .625 at the muzzle.
Butch

That would be my choice as well. One thing to consider in addition to muzzle diameter is overall contour. Is it heavier at the receievr end and light at the muzzle or is it thinner at the receiver and perhaps heavier at the muzzle? Both situations can result in the same barrel weight yet handling characteristics will be vastly different. I like to consider balance before focusing soley on weight.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x62 is a #4 Pac-Nor contour. The shank portion is about 2 1/2 inches long, including the threads. Their standard 3" shank is too long for my tastes, and it's more difficult to inlet for in the stock, and requires a fatter stock (or thinner sides). Also, I had the shoulder rounded, where the shank starts to taper down, rather than leave it with the sharper corner. It looks better to me that way.

My barrel is 23" long, and I don't know what the muzzle diameter is, and really don't care. It is what it is. The barrel feels really well balanced and proportioned. I suspect that any of the #3 or #4 barrel contours will be good, whoever makes it, but I just went with a #4 because of the bore diameter.

I suspect that 23" & #4 contour is correct. 20" or 21" & #3 contour is good too.

It's important to pay attention to the shank length. I have a friend who ordered a #4 barrel from Pac-Nor, and I didn't think to mention to him about the shank, and it came back with the 3" shank, with the sharp shoulder. It looks and feels like a much different barrel than mine, and he had to remove a lot of wood from the barrel channel, yet they are both #4 and both made by the same mfg. Pac-Nor will make it either way, at your request, with no extra charge, or if you order the blank, your gunsmith can take care of it.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

This barrel is going to be turned by my gunsmith so I can specify exactly what I want.

The "shank' part not counting the thread is going to be 1.5 inches with the smooth taper. I am not a fan of the sharp taper myself. In fact, I had the sharp taper on my Kimber factory barrel recontoured to a more pleasing curve.

It will be fairly close to resembling the factory style CZ barrels as I like the curves so to speak. Not really shooting for a specific weight per say, I just don't want a rifle that is "lugged" around. It is a hunting rifle first and foremost, and I like mine to have nice carrying characteristics. Granted it won't be as light as my 270's or 338-06' but I want it to be a med-light sporter, not super light or varmint heavy.

But yet, appropriate for the 9.3x64 Brenneke.

I have a pretty good idea, just bouncing ideas and making sure I am not way out of line.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote