New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone heard of "Flach"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a "Flach" as a gunmaker or gunsmith. I've been offered a .470 NE conversion on a Browning SXS (appears nicely done)by Flach, but have never heard of him. I am aware of Butch Searcy's conversions only, but how many others were there? ~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you probably heard was Ferlach, which is a well known european (Belgian ?) gunmaker.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What you probably heard was Ferlach, which is a well known european (Belgian ?) gunmaker.

Geronimo

Ferlach is in Austria; it is where the custom gun makers are located.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Flach" is a machinist for the B.C. Ferries who is a self-taught, part-time gun repairer in Langley, B.C. He is a good machinist, but, his work on guns has been variable and his delivery times and price quotes are not dependable. When he wants to, he can do nice work, but, he will seldom stick with an agreement as to exact specs. and he does make mistakes, which he does not want to fix.

My major problem with a rifle of this type is simply the question about whether it will hold it's value, or not. Flach wanted to build me one for $8000.00 CDN. about three years ago, I told him then and I still think that a Krieghoff Classic would be a better buy and investment.

Many amateur gunsmiths have and do build "double rifles" on BSS actions, I am leery of such guns, but, each to his own.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kutenay, in the photos I received the rifle appeared well done,and the seller was on the island, so it all makes sense. I had concerns, not being in a position to handle it, and not really requiring another .470 (one for each hand?). But I didn't know the name and kind of suspected it was something I didn't want to get involved in for $7500. I agree that the Krieghof and Merkels are going to be better for the same money. I've been holding onto a Browning SXS for a long time with the excuse it's for a project like this .......maybe when I retire at 85 and have sufficient time. Have to say, you do what's happening in your province gunwise and it keeps me up to date.Thanks again. ~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote