New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sling, er 'carry strap' for my rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a proper sling for an express style rifle. 'Proper' meaning one that looks like it belongs on such a rifle, and is not fugly, garish, or neoprene.

What would an original W-R or H&H sling have looked like? The rifle has a front sling attachment on the barrel, and I will be using QD swivels (my habit is to take the sling off when not in use as a sling, as I don't use it to shoot; less risk of noise / rattles at bad times). I don't care for slings with a wider shoulder pad area. I really like thick, rich looking waxy leather, and beefy brass or blued steel hardware. The braided leather slings look nice and strike me as very English, but I owned a braided leather belt [once] and was not impressed with it's durability.

And then color: dark brown, or black?

Thx,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Todd:
I have a number of english rifles that are fitted with sling studs with large eyes. These eyes use hook type swivles. They are the "original" quick detach swivles. Please email me if you wish to get some. I have found a supplier were I have been able to get replacement studs as well as sling swivle hooks.

These were used until the Mid 50's. My Holland and Holland was made in 1955 and was fitted with this type of sling attachment.

Respectfully,
Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

I think that typical English slings are canvas or leather, 1.5' - 2" wide. The braided leather are European. As regards the steel hook, I have been told that they are not English but American. Early Winchester. They and the newer type detavchable will bang agaist the barrel make noise and mar the blueing.

I have four slings that came with English Rifles and they have rawhide string on the end. They are tied through the big barrel sling loops. totally silent and easlily untied. A Jefferys I have has a smaller insert that is screwed into the larger loop to allow either, I guess.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Todd,

It is as Mickey says. 2 inch webbing strap with a thick rawhide thong on each end.

I believe Ron Wharton sells them. www.bunduki.co.uk

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Well thats what I get for believing what I am told...I learned somethig New. [Big Grin]

Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I don't know how authentic they are, compared to the old-time slings, but you might want to check out the rifle slings at Westley Richards. (They have a USA outlet/office in Missouri.) The prices aren't too bad considering that it's Westley Richards.

Check this link:
http://www.westleyrichards.com/show/leather_3_2slings.html

I really like the 2" Canvas sling. I bought one for a friend of mine last Christmas for her Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H. She really likes it.

Just a suggestion...
-Bob F.

[ 10-27-2003, 18:43: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urdubob and Mickey,

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the slings and their attachments on the stocks. I have to replace the sling attachment on some of my rifles as I don't like the screw in ones that work with quick detach swivels ala Uncle Mike's, as they tend to unscrew. The permanently attached screw in ones with a free spinning large eye are ok, but nobody seems to make them anymore.

thanks for the info. on the strap with rawhide ties, that is what I think I will put on my 458 and 375 when they get home. Anybody have pictures of that type of sling attached to their rifle?

thanks again everybody.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I have a Talley barrel band and an inletted rear swivel base, with the flat sides as intended for QD style swivels. It seems I need to find a swivel / sling attachment loop that is secured through the swivel base with a screw, then a sling with thongs to attach.

I will look into finding the swivel. I may use a GEW 98 style swivel on the rear (truly the original QD swivel) -- I will try it and see how it looks / fits. Looks like some good leads for the sling. Kind of humorous, I'm basically putting a Turk mauser sling on my fancy stalking rifle...

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the tiedown one.

-

-

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks mickey, I like that, just by going through the eye like that you eliminate all noise from it. Where do you find them like that Mickey?

Faucette, what kind of attachment do you use for those W.R. slings?

Thanks for the pics, it make it a lot easier for me to understand.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought it for $16,000. It came with a free 450 3.25 Westley Richards and an Oak and Leather case. [Big Grin]

Try Trader Keiths, Galazan, H&H. Any top end supplier of hunting equipment.