New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN / Browning HELP?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I just picked up a cool little FN marked 22LR takedown, top feed. It is in at least 95+% condition but for some reason I can't seem to date it, so I need some help.It is marked as follows, Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Gurre Herstal Belgique/ Browning's Patent Depose. Ser#182xxx.... Here are a couple of pictures.Thanks for any help.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
If it is also marked Browning Arms Company St. Louis and Montreal, PQ. Probably around 1964, according to Eastman the factory has not given out any dates/SN's but that was the best estimate he could come up with.

If it's not Browning marked then it was made for sale outside the US, pre-1960. They had made 200,000 of them by that date for non-US markets.

The non-US versions generally loaded form a portal on the very top of the stock and should have either a 19" or 19.25" barrel. The US model loads from the right side of the stock.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
browningguyThis gun is a top loader as shown in the second picture. The only thing on it that says browning is the Browning's Patent Depose.Thats it.
From what I can find, production of these guns started in 1914 by FN. My book aslo says"No records exist of FN production for Browning prior to the first Browning Catalog in 1956.

Thanks for your help

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote