New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 22 auto
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older browning 22 auto (1968) and the receiver has some areas on top that the bluing is spotty. Looks like patches of missing blueing. What is the best method of blending the blueing back without doing a complete reblue or is it possible?

Thanks

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Sorry Robe763, but there is no way to blend it in with the factory finish without it looking like crap. The best thing is to have the entire gun reblued.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Brownells Oxpho-Blue on my mid-80's Browning 1885. Blended in just fine on a 1" square patch that was down to bare metal, but no rusting or pits. Applied a few coats, let dry and carded with 0000 steel wool. Fast, cheap repair that is undetectable. It might work for you, too.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. Most of the reciever itself is in good shape. It is just this one area. Not sure what happened. I bought the rifle several years ago and it was like this when I bought it. I did not pay much for the rifle due to this. I guess I can try the Oxpho and if it does not look good have it reblued.

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote