THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Insalling Williams Guide Receiver Sight on 1903 Mannlicher Shchoenauer bolt shroud

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insalling Williams Guide Receiver Sight on 1903 Mannlicher Shchoenauer bolt shroud
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would someone instruct me as to choice of model of sight, and work required to mount this sight. Thank you.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a photo in the September "Rifle" magazine showing a Marbles or Williams(?) "ramp type" peep mounted to the shroud/guide rib of a M-S bolt. Looks like two screws fore&aft in line with the bore. Same application as a Rice sight to a Krag.

I don't know how much play there is between the shroud and receiver, or how much it would affect the zero on the sight.

Rather trim in appearance, although the contrast in color between the sight and bolt is pronounced.

Lousy photo:

There are Lyman peeps that dovetail into, or attach to the cocking piece with a cap and silver solder/screw, also.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sight is a Williams WGRS. There are different configurations for the bottom of the sight. I am not familiar with the different shapes and hoped that someone could help identify that shape which required the least work to match the shape of the shroud. I only have three rifles in 1903, but there is very little play or movement of the shroud. I believe the arrangement would help accuracy and be a real boon to old eyes. Hopefully, someone will have some answers.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Send a note to John Barnesness on 24 Hour Campfire. I believe that is his rifle.
2. Call Williams and ask what they recommend.
3. If you can determine the radius of the site where you will mount the sight; that will help determine what sight model is best.

Good luck

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Creedmoor Shooting out of California has a new "micro sight" made up of "zone plates". You can have that easily installed in your Williams WGRS sight. Then, you can wear glasses with your distance prescription. You will then be able to see both your front sight, AND the target clearly.

L/D

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could measure the radius on mine but it is way smaller than any receiver that the Williams sight would mount on.

Receiver sights and bolt peeps for geezers is an under-served market, and I am tired of buying scopes.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Receiver sights and bolt peeps for geezers is an under-served market, and I am tired of buying scopes.

Aye. ( Big Grin )

How 'bout a radius gauge to the shroud, corresponding ball mill to a flat bottom sight? Or, emory cloth on the shroud, careful shaping to the bottom of the sight- made of aluminum, IIRC.

And/or, if the edges can be made to fit(on a sight with a tighter radius), the rest can be made up/bedded with epoxy, same as many scope bases are dealt with these days.

I hate for things to come to this, but here is Williams phone numbers. You didn't get them from me.

1-800-530-9028 or 810-653-2131

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the advice. Will give it a shot and hope for the best. Thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would certainly second the suggestion of epoxy, MarineTex, etc. to conform with the radius vs altering the steel bolt guide on a rifle of such standing. If you decide to remove it later on the rifle would be back to original condition. Might also suggest you take a look at one of the Ashley rear sights as offered for Marlin leverguns. Made of steel and small, but would serve the purpose I think.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just ordered a small one for a military barrel. They are made in four sizes, each to fit a range. They are designed to mount on the barrel, not the reciever, som several are smaller than you might imagine. If I remember, the smallest is for use on barrels down to .600". which would likely fit on the MS shroud. Look on the Midway website for the sizes.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote