Find
Notify
Tools

True Radius Sear Jig
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted
I realize this is mainly a long gun forum, but my experience tells me a lot of you guys get a lot of 1911's through your shop as well.

The number one request I hear about is trigger jobs and last year, while having quite the discussion on exactly that, I came up with this sear Jig.
For years 1911 sears have been a bit of a mystery, even for some Pro's.
This True Radius jig takes the mystery out of sear prep and and reduces labor time dramatically...
You get a perfectly neutral pull every time and can tune for a long roll trigger pull or a snappy competitive pull well down to 2 lbs SAFELY.

The principle is simple and well proven now, and the results are dramatic.

Your thoughts and questions are welcome!

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm proud to say I have one of the first of these that Chuck made, and it flat out works! The only problem is that it will hightlight how many poorly manufactured sears there are out there, sears from top-name companies. With Chuck's device and a proper sear it is really simple to make a 1911 trigger just about perfect.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It's also one of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments. It a very simple solution to a complex problem and from the drawing he posted it is a very sound design.
Older brother just picked up a 1911 so I may have a use for one very soon.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
If you like a good read, this is where it all started.
Whether your a 1911 guy or not this is a good read....

http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=277

Wink

John, being the friend he is, isn't telling you about me showing up at his shop, when I first made this, looking for more sears...lol. I ran out...He may have even suspected some sort of alcahol or drug use....lmao

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you give a brief description of how the jig is used? I understand the concept from the pics on your web site, but how is the jig used to get the angle shown?

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Wapiti,
you simply clamp the sear lightly between the discs, and stone away. If your sear does not extend enough to be stoned, its too short to be safe.

With a proper sear, should take about....15 minutes.
Address the hammer hook tips, light relief angle, and yer off to the races.....

....and there is no angle, it becomes a True Radius, equalling totally neutral pull.

This might help as well... http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1179

The First link is very in depth..

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thats the thing there is no angle. It becomes a radius and as it rotates through it's motion there is no change in the distance from the center of the pin it rotates on. therefor no rise or fall as the trigger is pulled as Chuck said a neutral pull.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote