New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle blow up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Check out this video of the rifle blowing up.

http://www.break.com/index/blo...odes-after-shot.html

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I posted this here a while back, but not too many people watched it. I think your title will get more interest than mine did.

Than really is an outstanding video.

I love when the guy says, "What the...?!"

Classic!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can hear the elk.
What could possible go wrong when the elk are finally right in front of you?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the elk on the far right side of the frame, about halfway toward the bottom. The shooter is fully entrapped in buck fever. You can see something dark go flying when he shoots the rifle. Looks like he may have left a cleaning swab in the bore...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
You can see something dark go flying when he shoots the rifle. Looks like he may have left a cleaning swab in the bore...

I've seen this clip several times but never noticed that before... but you are right, something visible looks like it comes out of the barrel... something that appears a lot like a patch or maybe a plug of dirt.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is, did he get the elk?

Posts: 28 | Location: Dixie | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was this a Tikka? I have seen numerous pics of stainless Tikka rifles banana peeling their barrels a few years back.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Classic barrel obstruction blow-up.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
Was this a Tikka? ...
Looks like a Browning to me, but that could be Full-of-Beans.

Kept the Trigger Yanker SAFE, with no apparent harm. Perhaps a severe Pucker Factor though. shocker

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would that piece that went flying be the front section of the stock flying from the barrel peeling back? Not exactly sure what it is but it is wild none the less. Just hope no one was hurt by it.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an A-bolt. Saw a couple stainless A'bolt barrel fail in extremely cold weather (Wisconsin) Boots Obermeyer's shop...could cold have been a factor here?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Looks like an A-bolt. Saw a couple stainless A'bolt barrel fail in extremely cold weather (Wisconsin) Boots Obermeyer's shop...could cold have been a factor here?

Obermeyer definitely advises against using stainless barrels in very cold (-30 and below) weather.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

It did not look very cold.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't "look very cold?" Why was he wearing gloves?...and er..ahh...snow on the ground??? I'm not trying to prove a cold weather/stainless steel barrel syndrom..but it does exist.

I'm personally amazed that many fireamrs mgfs. still market these flyweight stainless products...must not have good legal advice.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Sorry Duane, I did not see the snow. I was looking for the guy exhaling steam as he seemed to be "huffing and puffing", but I didn't see any.

You are right about the gloves.

Watching this guy fumble around reminds me why I don't like an audience while shooting.
Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

Picture of OSIX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chisana:
quote:

Obermeyer definitely advises against using stainless barrels in very cold (-30 and below) weather.

Can someone point me to additional information on Cold weather & Stainless barrels, causing barrels blowups.

Never Forget WTC

Posts: 16 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
KRIEGER barrels are the ones that started the rumor of stainless barrels blowing up in cold weather. They dont make a bbl smaller then like #4, or #5 in stainless. I asked Hart bbls about this when ordering a featherweight in stainless Hart said it was BS, and kriegar was just trying to sell more of their chrom moly and #5 and bigger s/s barrels is it true I dont know this is just what hart told me.

I would be concerned if it was -20 or more with any barrel, I have a friend whose rings cracked on a 340 wby in negative temps, after this he had the rings rebuilt in S-7 tool steel.

I dont want to be the one to try a #2 stainless in 300 ultra mag in -50 but I dont think any one knows for sure, maybe a metalurgist would have a theory, but until I see it on myth busters and its proven I think most cases are mud in the barrel.

In this video the elk are in the rut and there is no way its negative anything in this vid, cold but not bbl exploding cold. obviously he stumped his bbl in the dirt and maby with rain and moisture the dirt melted down all the way to the cartridge or close to it. it could have been in there for days if he didnt know it happened.

If there was a issue with stainless blowing up in cold look at how many stainless guns are out there, and how many have we heard of? I also think if you do have a stainless ultra light bbl make sure its built by a quality barrel maker and not just the cheapest stainless bbl you can find.

mike

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont want to be the one to try a #2 stainless in 300 ultra mag in -50 but I dont think any one knows for sure, maybe a metalurgist would have a theory, but until I see it on myth busters and its proven I think most cases are mud in the barrel.

I was rolling my eyes when you mentioned "Mythbusters". Those guys always flub things up in their set-up, then they say that it is mythbusted. This is especially true when it comes to myths involving firearms.

But you do bring up a good point about the mud. I have wondered it the problem could be ice in the barrel.

I am sure that some will ask, "If ice is the problem, why don't we hear about it with non-stainless barrels?" My guess it that the guys with stainless barrels don't worry as much about swabbing down the bore at the beginning and end of each day because they are not worried about rust. Moisture and ice build up then: POP!

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I was kidding about the MYTH BUSTERS I yell at the tv whenever myth busters does anything with guns or bullits and ballistics.

I think your right about ice as well, its a combination of both mud then rain then freeze at night= early morning elk & BOOM.

Also right about the swabbing thats the point of stainless is so we dont have to wipe down each day and swab, but we need to look down the bore every night and maybe a couple times uring the hunt when you have a break.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote