New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 to ..270 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Mauser VZ-24 semi custom, 26”Shilen Premium barrel, Timney trigger, new safety, Boyd’s walnut stock.
I have too many .270s so I was thinking about converting it to .270WSM. Can that be done? Reasonable priced? What is involved? Recommendations ?

Thanks

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not without setting the barrel back; the 270 Win chamber is .3 inch longer than the WSM. What is involved?
Set barrel back. (IE, chop it off)
Rethread.
Chamber.
Alter bolt face; (do that first)
Alter extractor.
Mill feed rails.
Make it feed.
Cost: $500.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. More work than I thought.
I don’t need four .270s so I’ll probably just sell this one

Thanks again.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF cost is the only object.

It's commonly cheaper to sell it and buy new.

OF course most of us prefer to change our guns

to fit the new desires.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want it to not be a .270 any longer, there are hundreds of cartridges it could be rebarreled for that would not require an other work. Anything from a 25-06 to 400 Whelen. Lots of great options and barrels are cheap.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
27 Nosler?

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I have a Mauser VZ-24 semi custom, 26”Shilen Premium barrel, Timney trigger, new safety, Boyd’s walnut stock.
I have too many .270s so I was thinking about converting it to .270WSM. Can that be done? Reasonable priced? What is involved? Recommendations ?

Thanks

Find some RL 26 with 150 gr bullets in your 270 Win 22" Rem 700 Mtn contour barrel 270 Winchester

CCI 200 primer, RP Case, 2 @ .41" at 200 YD 60 GR RL 26 3054 FPS 150 GR NP 3 @ .55" 4 @ 1"

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Real problem is that it is and will still be, a 270 caliber, something which never needed to exist. I barreled a 35 Whelen today on a VZ24; great round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
If you just want it to not be a .270 any longer, there are hundreds of cartridges it could be rebarreled for that would not require an other work. Anything from a 25-06 to 400 Whelen. Lots of great options and barrels are cheap.

John

Hundreds ?

Posts: 792 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:

John

Hundreds ?

Easily if you want to include wildcats, but yes probably hundreds of factory cartridges based on the 06 head size that would work. Or are you inferring that I should have said thousands? Regardless, thank you for your response, I am sure it is very helpful to the OP in his dilemma.

All the best for a warm and safe holiday.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're quite welcome. And the same to you.

Posts: 792 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote