New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welding Rod for Bolt Handle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to TIG a new handle onto a Mauser 24/47 bolt for a friend. I've got standard (mild steel?) rod from the supply house and some of the alloy rod from Brownells. Which to use? I'm not so much worried about strength as I am consistency of the blueing due to dissimilar metals.
Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email Dan at dans40xc@hotmail.com. I would venture to say he has welded more handles on bolts than anyone on this forum and maybe all of them put together. He is a master and will share info.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the rod from Brownell's to weld several bolt handles and to fabricate other small parts that took bluing well. I also had where I had to use weld to build up a part, also with good bluing results.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use 1/16 inch ER70S2 rod.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14 November 2008 08:50 Hide Post

exactly

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've been using Tartan G.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

I use the same.

I've tried the rod from Brownells but I was told by a welder who's better than I that that rod is gas welding rod and isn't as pure as tig rod. I spend forever cleaning the scale off after each pass to try and get a pit free weld.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the copper plating from TIG rod/wire for color match weldments that are to be blued.
Any/all of the oxy-acetylene/gas filler rods have additives to reduce oxidation/scale and are not manufactured for TIG welding,as are the nickel additive rods offered from Brownells.
Color match can not be established adding nickel to CrO.
The nickel is added to reduce cold cracking.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote