New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next project.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering my next rifle prouject.
What I am thinking of is to have a Ruger #1 rebarreld to .257 Weatherby.
I would go with a 26 inch tube and use a different scope base set up.
I could save myelf some money by buying a #1 in 25,06 and rechabering.
I would have to settle for a 26 inch tube.
But knowing me I think the new barrel would be the way to go.
any body here done one ? or know of one.
Can't think of a better long range deer antilope rifle.
I would bet a barnes 100 grain tripple shock at speeds aproaching 3800 Fps would be impressive.
the one deer I took with that bullet at about 3100 was very dead very fast. What do you think guys? Decent Idea ? who would you have do the job ? Thanks !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ -

What about the "off chance" that you had to shoot a deer/antelope at less than 100 yds (with a scud missile at 3800 fps... Wink )?

I'm just becoming more and more a fan of large slower-moving boolits for game. Far less wind drift, too...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the barenes tripple shock at 3800 would would likly shed its petals , but the bullet would still probably penatrate clear through.
can't say for sure but if you put the bullet where you want it, I think it would do.
there are certainly other bullets I might try like the north fork, or the 215 grain barnes. A 120 grain partrition at probably 3400 would be dandy deer lope sheep and caribu killer too !
I have a 45/70 and a Whelen too.
I undersatnd big bullets work. But so do fast ones. I like to shoot and reload , and playing with new rounds is allways fun...tj3006
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt you'd get a pass-through! Just might paint the countryside with a tinge of pink... Big Grin

Anyway, just food for thought, and it sounds like you've got the bigger-bores pretty well covered already. Whatever you decide, Have Fun!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I replied in you post on the Single Shot Forum, but I think it would be a good idea to buy one in 25-06 and have it rechambered. Give you a chance to play with it for awhile to see if it is what you want. Seems like most smiths charge the better part of $500 to rebarrel a No. 1. Who knows, you may like it as is and save yourself some money, and if not, you can get it rebarreled or get rid of it. Just a thought.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
I think it would be a good idea to buy one in 25-06 and have it rechambered.

Great advice! You won't loose to many FPS and you'll get to try it before you buy it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In May we hired and Indian guide for prairie dogs. He makes more money in antelope season. He told us that walking straight toward and antelope is the best. I tried that on Monday on BLM land, when deer hunting. I had no antelope tag, but I could start stalking at 500 yards and get within 100 yards, lie down with bi-pod and put the cross hairs between the eyes.

Based on that experience, you can get'r done with the 25-06.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lots of rifles aready that will "get her done" This is just a project thats on my mind.
I have 3 projects working now so it will be awhile.
My old JC-Higgins M50 will be going to MPI for a stock soon.
My custom springfield is about to get its long awaited checkering job, And my FN supream .257 AI is getting fitted and bedded to the prety piece of wood.
Most of that stuff is paid for, but i am going to nedd 2 or 3 new scopes, so starting the .257 weatherby project will be awhile off.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I personally like the 257 wby idea, its a great flat shooting cartridge without too much recoil or noise. Antelope are not always known to be within 100 yds, usually 100-200 yds is average and 300 could be typical. A 26" barrel is a touch on the long side fo the 257, you could get by with a 24" without much loss in velocity. Just keep in mind that bullet speeds in that 3800 mark are not known for long barrel life.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote