New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital camo at home - my project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I decided to start a camoing project on one of my guns.
I'm one of those guys that are afraid of depreciating a gun by modifying it, so getting the nerve to actually do it took a lil bit of pushing myself.

I decided to do my Tikka T3 Lite (308Win).

Anyway, this was the plan:
1-clean the heck out of everything
2-rough up the glossy scope finish
3-mask and clean again
4-prime
5-put down a dark coat of color (olive)
6-cut out masking tape with the edges blocky (0.2" grid paper was helpful) and stick on wherever I wanted it to be olive colored
7-paint with lighter color (khaki)
8-fill in with other colors in random spots

This is the gun before any paint
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=8984&photo=310291&filter=all

This is the barrelled action after priming
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=8984&photo=403935&filter=all

After olive
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=8984&photo=403931&filter=all

And after masking, painting with khaki, then removing the tape
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photo_photo.aspx?user=8984&photo=403930&filter=all

Sorry about not hotlinking the pics, but the server doesn't allow it.

Some of the paint came off of the stock when I peeled the tape off, so I stripped it and started over with the stock.
Instead of primer, I used Krylon Fusion. This stuff really bonds a whole lot better than primer on plastic, but you have to let it completely cure for 7 days before painting it again, or do it soon within a day, or else the solvent from the top coats will soften the Fusion and it will come off when you pull masking tape off.
I'll post pics when I'm completely finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm one of those guys that are afraid of depreciating a gun by modifying it, so getting the nerve to actually do it took a lil bit of pushing myself.

thumb looks good, I still haven't found the nerve to do this to mine. Maybe a synthetic stocked Savage with a Simmons scope would let me build up enough. Good excuse for a new gun Big Grin Until then I'll stick with cloth bow limb socks on the barrel and forend (the ones with the "darts" every few inches) and cradle the stock in my arms. Frowner

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fumbler-

I like where you're heading with this...

Now... please don't takle this as a flame, but more as helpful, constructive criticism...

The "bad":

I think the khaki is a bit too light. And a bit too much of it.

The "good":

I *really* like how you tried the blocky digicam look. The size and shapes of the olive patches is just about perfect.

The "suggestions":

It looks great, but could use a bit more of the olive showing through. Or better yet, add another color (something along the lines of a "caramel" type brown...), to add even more "depth" to it. And add more patches of the blocky shapes. About twice as many as you have would look good.

Again, please don't take my post wrong. I like your project a LOT. It's definitely different than the normal spray paint blotches. If you get it tuned up just a bit more, it would be killer!! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
looks nice. what kind of paint are you using? Have you used htis paint in the field before, or any first-hand report son ho wit holds up? THanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Nice. I prefer to lay three colors down in a different order. Light base coat, dark pattern, and last the medium for shading. I like the patterns with a slight feathered edge and this is easy to do with cardboard templates hand held as you spot spray. My 2 cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My nephew just went in the Marines. He came home sporting some digitized camo. At 10 feet away in my house you couldn't hardly focus on him.

NRA Life member and I vote.
NAHC Life member

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
There's a guy on Predatormaster that did a pretty good job with a digital camo job. If you do a search you should be able to find it. Looks nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments all, especially the suggestions for changes.

Its still a work in progress. I've got cans of other colors waiting including a brown, light green, charcoal, and light khaki. The khaki that you can see is actually a bit darker. It just turned out real light colored in the pic. The color is closer to the color of cardboard.

Here's another pic.
http://www.thewolfweb.com/photos/00403936.jpg

I had the rifle leaning against a bunch of boxes of dog food in my girlfriend's apartment. Her dad came over and walked around and said "wow, thats a lot of dog food" then sat down. My girlfriend laughed and then pointed out the rifle that he walked by. He didn't even notice. It really is hard to see no matter what it's next to. Smiler