THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millet Angle Lock Rings--anyone using them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a good reasonable ring for some weaver mounts and found these. MY questions is whether or not they leave scope marks with the "ridges" on the inside of the rings?
Other input?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I like these rings for a number of applications, centerfire and rimfire. I cut a sticky-backed peel-off address label for lining the top and bottom rings and have had absolutely no problems in any respects.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using them on two rifles only because both receivers are drilled off center and the Millet rings have windage adjustments built in. Otherwise I don't like them at all.

They have a very rough inside surface which seems as cast and paper liners thumbdown are provided to protect the scope tube. Someone reported that the screws break in them but heck I can break anything.

Overall I would not have them except.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You hear a lot of crap about them, I personally like them ok. They're not the best or the worst IMHO. The inside of the rings is serrated to grip the scope, the paper if friction paper which helps grab the slick scope finish. I've seen them installed on some huge kickers and not lose their grip. So what's not to like? They're not the prettiest, nor the easiest to get aligned, but they work like they're advertised. Let's face it they hold a scope on a rifle, does it take a $120 set of Sako Optiloks for that???

Bob

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use them in the way Savage99 does. They work very well to get a scope lined up on a gun with receiver drilled off center. If I can I usually use Leupold rings or Warne. I think the Millet rings come with little pieces of black tape to lay inside the ring to protect the scope.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them three times on the same rifle. I will never use them again. The first set I had a screw break and had the scope shift break something loose inside Leopold fixed it fortunately.. I realized this after missing a deer. The second set I had the base of the ring crack where it clamps onto the base. After this I figured I must be doing something wrong. I knew it was not the rifle busting the rings up it was a 7mm08 remington model 7. I contacted millet they never heard of such problems. They thought I was overtightening they recommended a certain torque range for the screws. I believe it was 30 to 32 inche pounds. I gave a third set a try, I broke a screw during the mounting process at 25 inch pounds. And to top it all off Millet would not do anything for me. Poor product and poor customer service not a good combo.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried them on 2 rifles & did not like them at all. they are a pain to line up and don't hold up as well as weavers or burris z rings. The extended mounts simply suck from the get go.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I buy them 4 sets at a time to have on hand for various rifles I am puttng scopes on from time to time. Never had a problem with them yet, and have been using them about 6 or 7 years.

I use more expensive mounts for many guns, but for inexpensive guns, I use inexpensive mounts, Weavers, Millets, you name it...whatever is on sale that I know to be adequate.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered a set of grand slam weavers instead for about $13. They're a little more ugly but I hate taking a scope off a gun and seeing it marred up. I'll take my chances with the GS....the above made me think the millet was slightly questionable at best.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you hate seeing your expensive scopes marred up do as I did. Get Burris Signature rings and you will never have that trouble again.