Find
Notify
Tools

Which Mauser action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A clean 09 Peruvian is a scarce item. Here's one I had refurbished by the late Tom Burgess, now in the capable hands of ForrestB and probably Duane Wiebe:

Un-pitted Mexicans aren't that common either, but that would still be my choice. I have an FN Deluxe 300Sav but the action is unnecessarily long, has a magazine block.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
A clean 09 Peruvian is a scarce item. Here's one I had refurbished by the late Tom Burgess, now in the capable hands of ForrestB and probably Duane Wiebe:

That would be the ForrestB of "a 1909 Peruvian would make a beautiful 300 Savage." I see he has follow through in his ideas.

I have found one or two 1909's in Italy, but they are military collector's type rifles that are for sale. It would be painful to take one apart.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The pain will be fleeting. The lifetime of enjoyment of your custom rifle will endure. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iiranger: Many years ago, I was a Browning dealer. Visited Morgan UT, spent some time with the engineers.."Off the record" Two borderline cartridges are: 243 Win and 264 Win Mag. Seems to me that Gerg Warne marketed some Swedes chambered for the 243...lotsa set back! This is an extermely hi pressure ctg. Experience seems to indicate this is not a good choice for the Swede....On the plus side..never heard of a dramatic failure

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Warne marketed sporterized M96's in the original 6.5x55 and the family of 308 cartridges. I have one of them in the6.5x55, cheap, accurate gun. But I keep hearing that the .308 family chambered guns have setback.

FWIW Brownells markets pre threaded barrels by Shilen for the M96 in 250Sav, 6.5, 7x57, 300Sav & .35 Rem

Is the 257 Roberts much higher pressure than the 250Sav? Would it be safe to build one on the M96?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The pain will be fleeting. Smiler

There's another kind of pain which occurs to me. Is it true one can no longer import into the USA a Mauser with the thumb cut and clip slot? If so, buying one in Europe, to send it to Duane, may be the wrong way to go.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I read these posts and all the replies and comments, then I ask myself, "Why?" Only if and unless the rules in France are such that you cannot use either current or former military calibers, the 7X57 Mauser seems to be the obvious choice here.
My most vivid recollection of being in France many years ago was trying to find some ammo for a 32 Win. Special. Lots and lots of 30/30 but never found a single round for my 32 Spec.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
Only if and unless the rules in France are such that you cannot use either current or former military calibers, the 7X57 Mauser seems to be the obvious choice here.

That is exactly the case, the 7 X 57 is classified as a military caliber in France (among scores of other nice calibers as well) and illegal for hunting.