Find
Notify
Tools

Cross Bolt Question for a 404J
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm preparing to stock a 404J barreled action and wanted to make sure I was doing sufficient work on the cross bolts and not over engineering.

Here were my plans:

1. Barreled action is a 1917 Enfield receiver. There is not an auxiliary recoil lug where the barrel joins the receiver, just the factory recoil lug. I have a second recoil lug further down the barrel.

2. I'd planned to epoxy bed the stock (probably Devcon)

3. I was going to use Talley crossbolts behind the recoil lug and behind the magazine. I plan to slightly recess and cover with ebony plugs.

Questions:

1. Do I need to pillar bed as well?

2. Do the "flat type" cross bolts for Reck Nagel add any needed strength (they look like a pain in the ass to get installed correctly so they align perfectly with the receiver recoil lug)

3. I thought about epoxy the talley bolts in and maybe even running a light thread on the inner piece and turning into the stock. I always thought this would be strong that a piece that just "Sits" in the stock

4. Since I'm cover with ebony, would an Bolt and Nut work just as well?

Thanks

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use round bolts from Brownells, and glue them in; like you I think they will do more that way. Pillar bedding; useless if you are glass bedding it too. Bolt and nut? sure; that is all that a stock bolt/escutcheon is. They are just to hold the thin side walls together; does not do much for recoil; that is why bedding both lugs is good. I know. everyone but me does not use epoxy bedding and will bed both lugs to fit precisely into the wood. But I do. So don't say it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use round bolts from Brownells, and glue them in; like you I think they will do more that way. Pillar bedding; useless if you are glass bedding it too. Bolt and nut? sure; that is all that a stock bolt/escutcheon is. They are just to hold the thin side walls together; does not do much for recoil; that is why bedding both lugs is good. I know. everyone but me does not use epoxy bedding and will bed both lugs to fit precisely into the wood. But I do. So don't say it.

What are the Brownells rounded bolts?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No time right now; search their web site. I can get details tomorrow but my wife is nagging me about wanting to use the computer.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Brownells part number 874-005-000wb.
Magnum crossbolt. Talley make.