New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Model 14 Remington in .30 Rem that I am including in an article I'm writing about hunting with the old Remington pumps (Model 141 and Model 14) and auto loader rifles (Model 8 and Model 81).

I have had no problems with the 141 or the 8 and 81, but the 14 suffers from terrible inaccuracy past 60 yards and unbelievable carbon fouling, even after a single shot.

The case neck shows some fouling, but it's not excessive. Otherwise, a fired case looks normal with minimal stretching. Primer pockets are tight upon reloading, however the fired primer looks like it backs out ever-so-slightly (I mean, you have to run you thumbnail over it to tell it's not flush).

So far, I've chalked it up to old, sloppy shot-out barrel allowing a lot of blow-by. I have no idea where I'd ever get a go-gauge for a .30 Remington to check headspace.

I'm shooting 34 grains of W 748 behind a 170-grain Remington Core-Lokt for 2000 fps with a 20-inch barrel.

Opinions?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing: THOROUGH cleaning, preferably with repeated Foul-Out applications.

Second thing: recrown down to sharp rifling.

Might not need a third thing, good luck!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try just neck sizing the cases.It sounds like they are not fitting the chamber and sealing it up when the primer backs out and the necks are smoked.
It happens every time I shoot Federal factory loads in my 7x57.When the cases are neck sized just to hold the bullet they don't have any problems like that.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It happens every time I shoot Federal factory loads in my 7x57.When the cases are neck sized just to hold the bullet they don't have any problems like that.

Thanks, I'll try that. Did you invest in a neck sizing die, or just back off a few turns with your FL die?

I really don't fancy laying out the dough for a new die for a rifle that I'm only going to shoot once in a blue moon.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote