New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem M7 300 BO feeding problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This new rifle won't feed 220 gr subsonic Remington ammo at all. All the rounds tip up and jam into the barrel face. Tried a modified follower spring and smoothing the feed lips. No help. 5.56 rounds feed effortlessly. The 300 rounds leave the mag late and tip up at a sharp angle. Viewing the feed lips from below seems to indicate the taper is way to far forward, delaying release of the round. It looks like they just used a .223 receiver and mag hoping the 300 would feed. Anybody else have any suggestions to get it to feed?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, Remingtons use one size fits all receivers; so the feeding is controlled by the stamped sheet metal magazine box; remove it and bend the feed lips until it works.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up putting an HS precision straight feed clip in my Rem 7 that had exactly the same problems.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rebarreled a Model 7 from 223 to 221 FB
Never could get it to feed

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
There is a way to cheat feed death with blunt bullets or bullets that hit high on the breech face in the 700. Remington certainly wouldn't approve, but you can put a heavy, 45 degree feed cone on the face of the bolt nose recess. That bolt nose recess is only there to protect you in the event that you want to do something silly like blow up the gun. You still need to leave a little bit of the recess or the bullets will stove pipe on the chamber face. Removing to much can make it feed even worse so it's a cut and try affair. More is NOT BETTER !

700 45 degree by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On this version the receiver has rails with feed lips machined in like a Mauser. The sheet metal box merely contains the rounds. I've never seen that either.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, Remingtons use one size fits all receivers; so the feeding is controlled by the stamped sheet metal magazine box; remove it and bend the feed lips until it works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, upper left is where the bullet noses are jamming. That looks like a fix.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
There is a way to cheat feed death with blunt bullets or bullets that hit high on the breech face in the 700. Remington certainly wouldn't approve, but you can put a heavy, 45 degree feed cone on the face of the bolt nose recess. That bolt nose recess is only there to protect you in the event that you want to do something silly like blow up the gun. You still need to leave a little bit of the recess or the bullets will stove pipe on the chamber face. Removing to much can make it feed even worse so it's a cut and try affair. More is NOT BETTER !

700 45 degree by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cut is actually made all the way around Bobster. The barrel is spun off and simply held in the chuck of the lathe or preferably, set up on centers and run in a steady rest and make the cut with either a boring bar or form cutter. Care has to be taken to NOT take to much. You still need to deflect the round enough that it won't stove up on the chamber face. I have made this cut quite often in 700s chambered for the 375 H&H and the 458 Winchester to keep blunt nosed bullets from stopping against the barrel face. I have also done it quite regularly to 700s that are run with single shot followers that don't use the feed rails to guide the cartridge in.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10-4 that. Looks like a semi-coned breech. Mauser must have done a helluva lot of testing to get the reliable feed they did with a flat breech! I think this is just a case of Remington cheaping out by trying to shoehorn a 300 BO into a .223 magazine. Some work and some don't. in our case the difference is just 2 mm shy of feeding.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
The cut is actually made all the way around Bobster. The barrel is spun off and simply held in the chuck of the lathe or preferably, set up on centers and run in a steady rest and make the cut with either a boring bar or form cutter. Care has to be taken to NOT take to much. You still need to deflect the round enough that it won't stove up on the chamber face. I have made this cut quite often in 700s chambered for the 375 H&H and the 458 Winchester to keep blunt nosed bullets from stopping against the barrel face. I have also done it quite regularly to 700s that are run with single shot followers that don't use the feed rails to guide the cartridge in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee If you have access to new springs if something goes horrifically wrong. You could try reducing the magazine spring tension a bit with some light bending. That some times helps when the 223s don't feed.

Rod Henrickson