New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about the Win. 284?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been mulling over the best chambering for my pair of SA M1999's. At first I was all hopped up for one of the WSM, but the more I think about it the recoil aspect is a drawback. My buddy for whom this might be an issue is a small guy.

So I've been reading up on cartridges for an all around NA hunting gun (excepting brown bears) that only has a chance to be used for elk.

The .308 family, grandpa himself, the .308Win, and the 7mm-08. While looking through a book by
Boddington mention was made of the Win.284. From the the OAL looks to be the same as the 7mm.08, but the shoulder is much higher, allowing for more powder.

Is this the size of cartridge that will feed in a SA?
Any comments about the round would be apreciated, especially pertaing to the factory loadings.

Thanks

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob

Try posting your question on this board.
www.24hourcampfire.com
Theres some real big fans of the .284 over there.

More to your question. I've do some research on it also. Everything I've read says its the same as a .280rem in a short action and thats a good thing! I was thinking about having one built then decied just to buy a .280 and be done with it.

Have fun in your search and good hunting.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built one a few years back on a Rem 600 action. I wanted a lightwieght goat gun. The magazine box was extended, and the receiver opened up to allow 3.0"-3.1" COL. I get 2950 fps with Win factory 150 gr ammo, and I can duplicate this load with 140 gr X bullets (speed wise, they aren't particularly accurate in this gun). Those speeds are from a 23" Shilen barrel. I think it's a great cartridge/rifle combo, and certainly does everything I wanted it to do. Some actions will have feeding problems (I had some problems with the second round in mine, but only with reloads, took awhile to figure out), and some won't. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes some actions require a LOT OF WORK to make them feed the 284.I did a post a couple of weeks ago in this forum about action conversions.

Some gunsmiths will not work on a 284 due to the feeding problems.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote