New
Find
Notify
Tools

M14 Mags for Winchester 100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With Winchester 100 magazines getting so expensive, wondering if anyone has ever tried to get an M14 magazine to work?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just get an M1A? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
First off the magazine has to be JUST the corect length front to rear to fit into the reciever.
Then the two machine cuts, one in the front and one in the rear of the 88/100 magazine have to be within .005" of the proper postion so the magazine will lock in.
Then the shape of the magzine spring and follower have to be correct.
This is just so the magzine will feed properly.

FYI, you might just buy the M100 magazines from us as we own the tooling for the factory magazines. Rather than going to a vender who has to mark them up for their $$.

We have both the plain bottoms and some with the Winchester logo on them

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc.
Custom Metalsmith
http://www.wisnersinc.com

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjmci:
With Winchester 100 magazines getting so expensive, wondering if anyone has ever tried to get an M14 magazine to work?

With what it would cost you to have your rifle modified to accept M14 mags you could probably buy a trunk full of Winchester mags.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention its a .284, for which the magazines are the hardest to find and (of course) the most expensive. One last attempt here - since it would appear nothing but M100 magazines will work, has anyone ever tried opening up the feed lips on .308 mags to make them work with a .284?

If no responses I will just start saving now...Thanks to all who responded so far. To HP Shooter - I would gladly get an M1A if someone could find a way to mount a scope such that the rifle doesn't look like something from Star Wars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There’s a couple of these mags listed on e-Bay right now.

As far as mounts/bases for M1A’s...I have no idea what constitutes “Stars Wars†to you, but several companies make regular looking bases and rails for M1A’s that aren’t like the side mounts.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 284 magazine has the indents for the shoulder in a different location than the 243/308 magazines.

Then the follower is different than the 243/308, due to the wider case.

Also the feed lips are vastly different than the M88 just for the M100 to make it feed.

The shape of the magazine spring is also different.

We had over 3000, 284 bodies run off in 1999 on the factory tooling so that is why they are a little more costly.
Where as we have about 2000 243/308 bodies run off every year.

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I’ve got some original M88 magazines that were stamped 243/308 and then stamped out with a cross hatch pattern, and finally stamped 284. Is there a measurement I could take off the magazine to tell if it is either 284 or a 308?

Mark Holycross