Find
Notify
Tools

Penetrating resin finishes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I have read that these types of finishes are both easy to apply and very weather resistant. Does anyone have first hand experience and if so, any brand recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I don't know if my response is exactly what you are looking for but, here goes....

I have asked a few stock makers what they have used to finish their stocks for real world use from Africa to Alaska.

One name that I have heard repeatedly is Daly's Paint out of Seattle WA. From what I understand many if not all the products they offer were developed by them for specific 'marine' applications. I am not sure of the exact processes and proceedures used but, evidently Daly's combination of wood sealers, conditioners and finishes used in conjunction produce a very tough and long lasting protective surface.

In the Conditioners section look at ShipN'Shore & ProFin....

Conditioners, Sealers and Finishes

In the SeaFin Section look at SeaFin Teak Oil, Super Spar & Aqua Spar varnishes.

SeaFin Marine Products

From what I gather...and by no means should you take this as the whole story... One of the conditioners is put on the stock in multiple coats in conjunction with sanding. After that foundation has been laid several layers of the SeaFin Tea oil is applied to the stock. One nice thing about the Teak oil is that many applications can be used over time to develop a really beautiful patina as well as maintain a weather proof coating. The Spar Varnish can also be used as a finishing coat instead of the Teak Oil.

Hope this help.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:

One name that I have heard repeatedly is Daly's Paint out of Seattle WA.

I know that a couple pros here on the forum use those products....Steven Dodd Hughes (gnmkr) and Chic Worthing (Customstox).

From this thread.....
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../496102433#496102433

...gnmkr's post:

The stock was finished with Daly's Marine finishes: sealed with Benite, filled with Pro-Fin and top coated with Sea-Fin. Almost looks like the original varnish, but a lot more durable.

Chic has offered his techniques with Daly's products on the forum several times also. I believe he stills uses them, although which ones I'm not sure anymore.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about this so don't quote me but, I 'think' Gene Simillion, James Tucker and Dwane Wiebe use Daly's as well...

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Daly's BennMatte finish. It is a polimer modified tung oil. I used to use Seafin Teak oil. It is also a good finish.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

For a while there I didn't think I'd get any replies to this post.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote