Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a bloody rifle to shoot accurately
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
I had a M98 rifle rebarreld, the rifle was full length bedded but it kept on putting one round of 3 about 1� inches from the rest, sometimes even more. The gun was then free floated but it still did the same. The barrel is a shillen and it is in a macmillan stock. What else can I do, it does it with both factory ammo and reloads. I am really getting fed up.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber?

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Which of the shots does it throw & where does it throw it? Does Is it consistantly throw the same shot in the same place? As in the first, second or third shot of the group. Has it always done this?
 -

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Flip, now that you've tried full-length barrel bedding, followed by complete free-floating, try putting a shim in the barrel channel at the end of the forestock tip which will put about 15-20 pounds of upward pressure on the barrel at that point. You can do this by putting a cord around the barrel just in front of the forend tip, attaching a trigger-pull scale to the cord, and applying 20 or so pounds of upward pull, and noting how much space this creates in the barrel channel between the wood and the barrel. Then cut your shim (a businees card will do for this test) to this thickness, and install it (loose to begin with). If it helps, then you can cement a wooden or metal shim of that same thickness into the barrel channel. SOME sporter-weight barrels require a bit of damening at this point to reduce vibrations and "barrel whip" to the so group size is reduced. Good luck!!

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
It is a 300 Winchester, Since I got the rifle it did this.

It does not always happen with the same shot, but it happens most of the time with the second shot, but sometimes with the third. But never the first shot. It sometimes shoot a 3 shot groop close together. But it only happens every 20 or more shots and only one. It is a shillen medium barrel. It is much thicker than the previous barrel I had. My old barrel gave me 12 mm groups before it went bad.

[ 06-23-2002, 20:16: Message edited by: Flip ]

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flip; I think you need to start at the beginning and check everything a second or third time, then have someone else check it. That includes scope mounts and scope ring screws, receiver screws and the ammo. Pour a chamber cast and measure the throat and the lead length or measure the max COL for the bullet you are using. Seating closer to the lands may solve your problem. You didn't mention any particulars about the ammo so no one can address that possibility.

You sound a bit pissed so your emotional upheaval could cause you to miss something obvious. I know all about getting the red-ass, my eyes crossing and getting brainlock.

Have someone else shot the ammo in their rifle and in yours to see if you are the problem. An inch and a half isn't too very bad in a 300 Win depending on the bullet so maybe a bullet change is in order.

Shilen barrels have always worked well for me but that doesn't mean your's isn't dogshit to begin with or the gunsmithing sucked. I would also check the crown for burrs. Chuck a 1/4" round headed BRASS screw in a drill, smear on some extra fine grinding compound and run it at low speed for a minute or two then check it. You don't need much, a ring around 0.010" is plenty.

You may need to shot at least 100 rounds through it to get it to shoot better, sometimes more, sometimes less.

If that doesn't help send it back to the 'smith for a fix, although 1.5" in a M98 won't get you much sympathy in a new barrel, 3" might.

<Mats>
posted
Sling swivel hitting bag?

-- Mats

<Don G>
posted
Flip,

Your problem sounds like a classical bedding problem, but it sounded that way the first three times you brought it up here, too!

It's time to really check out the rest of the action.

Using dyechem blue, check the contact area of the bolt lugs. Maybe they are not square or don't have good contact.

Also check that neither the extractor nor bolt nose is contacting the back of the barrel.

Check the action very carefully for hairline cracks at the front of the loading port cutout.

Finally, you can have the barrel removed and retorqued. Sometimes there are stresses trapped in the barrel threads that can cause your symptoms.

Sorry, Flip, but I don't know any long-distance mojo that will help. I've had some frustrating rifles in my time as well.

Don

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
After 20 or more shots? Try cleaning the barrel after every 10 shots.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with a previous regarding that it is a bedding problem - maybe

Trigger binding?

Guard screw(s) binding in the holes??

Bedding uneven and causing uneven stress on the action? Try holding your hand around the barrel and forend tip while loosening off the front guard screw. If you feel any significant movement(like the stock and barrel try to separate), there is uneven stress on the action and re-bedding should then be a consideration.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Maybe a bandage will help..... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Question? Does it does this when you feed the ammo from the mag? Or when you feed singly? If it only does it from the mag, or only from the right or left side, the feed ramp might be introducing run-out.

Other than that, I have a Ruger I'm about to can because of the same thing. Maddening. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote