Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre '64 Mod 70 Conversion to Left Hand Bolt
 Login/Join

posted
I am seriously considering having a Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester converted to a Left Handed Bolt,
while still retaining the Right Hand Eject feature. As a left hander growing up in a right handed world,
I packed a lot of right hand bolt actions over the years but shot left because of a dominant left eye
and also because it felt natural to me. And so I actually favor a right hand eject and loading port.
The world is a lot friendlier to left handers nowadays and I have a number of dedicated left hand
bolt actions in my gun safe. Yet I don't like working the left bolt and being on the blind side of the
ejection port. I can't see much of what is going on with feeding. I do know that such a conversion
is possible. I believe that Craig Boddington had such a job done. Does anyone out there know
who can do this, and possible costs?

Love this Forum. Keep those comments coming!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington bought that pre 64 375 already converted, and I'm 95% positive that Tom Burgess (system 98) did the conversion. You're going to have a tough time finding a taker on that job. Unfortunately.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A left hand bolt rifle would be safer for a left hand shooter because your face is not on the open side.

The pre 64's were great rifles but new M70's are made in left hand now and that design when it's the Classic have advantages.

A friend just passed up a really nice left hand Classic in 7mm RM for $500.

I see this as way more trouble than it's worth.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am inclined to agree with Savage 99 on this; for the cost of having this done, I would have a top smith tune up a "Classic" or build on a lefthanded Dakota action. It takes a real genius to do this type of thing on an old Mod. 70 and it will cost big bucks.

I remember reading Craig Boddington's comments on his rifle where he stated that his conversion was not particularly well done. I have seen the fabulous metal work of Mr. Burgess and I simply cannot believe that anything he did would be less than superb.

Sometimes these conversions are not really a good idea, but, if ya gotta have it, well, that's part of being a gunnut!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay, Craig has more than one "conversion" rifle. Once again, I'm not %100 sure, but I think that 375 was done by Tom and is a favorite of his. I'm going to have to do some serious digging to get the information however. I'm relying on my memory here, and have mixed feelings about that .

No arguement here on Mr. Burgess' work being top notch, and he has done conversions and would be my recommendation. Also, I take right handed advice concerning left handed rifles with a grain of salt !

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay, you are indeed correct. Here is the article you are referring to. It is probably going to be hard to read but I can't type fast enough to justify retyping it by hand. My confusion came from another article where Mr. Boddington talked about this conversion and mentioned Tom Burgess in the same article but actually didn't connect the two.

He mentions this being the only conversion he owns, but has since added, at least, a springfield to that collection.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's the gun I remember as he had it stolen and was lucky enough to get it back. I honestly do not think that this sort of thing is a very good idea, unless there is no other option. The Springfield is quite likely the work of the famed American bulder R.F.Sedgeley(sp?) and these are neat guns, but, for us today, there are better choices, IMO.

I just could not see a man like Tom Burgess doing anything that was not superb and that rifle, as shown, is not my idea of good gunsmithing. Speaking of which, how is the project with Bill Leeper coming?

I also think that the late gunwriter, Col. Chas.Askins, had a number of conversions-maybe even a Pre-64-so, it can be done if a person just has to have one. What the hell, this is mostly about fun and what we want, as most of us could do it all with maybe a half dozen guns. (ghastly thought)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't do it, even given access to copious amounts of money. But might consider picking one up that had already been done. Not likely to happen in this country however.

I'm scheduled to meet Bill at his place to shoot the completed (sans paint) "Leeper 70" on the first Saturday in May (how is that for putting you on the spot Bill ). That way I can chaise a bear or two with it before the McMillan stock is sent to Mitch Kendall for its colour. Can't wait!

Chuck

posted Hide Post
My thanks go out to Chuck Nelson, Savage 99, and Kootenay Mountain Boy for your indepth
and sincere responses. You guys are thorough and straight shooters. I have to confess that
I once handled and could have bought at a Las Vegas gun show a Post '64 Model 70 push feed
in 458 Win Mag that was converted (nicely) to a left hand bolt handle. It was possibly a Lawson
conversion out of Phoenix. That was 20 years ago. I didn't buy it as it may have ruined our
honeymoon. Should have bought it though--at least I would still have had the gun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a fair amount of experience in this and have owned several. I have had several with the steel block and 2 screws for a bolt stop. Cheapest way to go. One of them had even been restocked by G&H! They were attributed to Robt. (Bob) West, I beleive maybe at that time he was from CO., not sure anymore. I don't know if it is the same Bob West in Oregon now or not. They all worked fine, but unhandy to take the bolt out! I had Duane Weibe change the bolt release on one of the above in .300 H&H when he restocked it to a release that operated on the principle of the factory original, but the placement of the button was moved right side. Duane did a .458 pre-64 conversion and it is a pushdown button operating through a frame anchored to the receiver sight screw holes. in about '75 Duane quoted me $250.00 to convert an action, but I found others already converted to work with and didn't do one. This was at a time when I, if I remember correctly, he charged $400.00 for stock labor!
I had two that I don't know who did them, but they were good work as was. One pre-war .375 and one a short mag action(attributed to a Middlestat (? spelling) in the upper midwest) that Clayton Nelson made into a .338(long story on that one!)
Then there is a Tom Burgess. Nothing to change on it! Proper bolt stop and all. Buttom is moved to the rear of the bolt.
I happen to like the right hand ejection. You can see into the action easily. BUT it is very expensive if can get someone to do it.

There was also a Barber that converted actions, but I believe only on Rem 721's. I had a couple a .458 and I think a .270. Work was fine, but still 721's and pinhead extractors.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy an action in that configuration and have a gun built around it, Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What configuration is that?

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 1950s and possibly 1960s Pennsylvania gunsmith Dale Guise altered Remington 721s (predecessor of the 700) and M70s to left hand operation. Visited him a couple of years ago, he was pretty much retired, doubt if he would do this now, but he might know where some of the guns are.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote