Find
Notify
Tools

O/U vs pump action shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I was wondering why it is that a semi auto or pump action is so much cheaper generally to buy than a comparable double barrel shotgun. I realize in many cases there is a lot of craftsmanship that goes into some models of doubles but for the most part I would think a double break action gun would be cheaper to produce than a modern semi auto or pump shotgun especially with all the CNC equipment available. so why is it doubles cost so much more

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hard/expensive part is getting two different barrels to shoot to the same point.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not always the case, most break open shotguns require far closer fitting of the parts than do semi-auto or pump actions. And closer fitting means more time in manufacture...which means more money to build them.

On the obvious side...they also have two barrels instead of one, and those two barrels need to be carefully aligned to one another...which also takes more time than fitting a single barrel. Their firing mechanisms are also more complicated to manufacture and fit.

I’m sure there are other reason also, but those few alone equate to more cost that has to be passed along.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
The hard/expensive part is getting two different barrels to shoot to the same point.lawndart

Right! The reason this makes the double so expensive is that this "regulation" cannot be done by a machine - it is skilled hand work that can only be done right by a master gunsmith who has had years of training and experience in this one task. This is true for shotguns, and much moreso for double rifles.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why does a Ferrari cost more than a Yugo? They're both made from basically the same materials.

Wait, I know the Ferrari has more cylinders, just like an O/U. Geesh. homer

As a matter of fact, the Russian/Turk/maybe even Chinese guns are reasonably close to better pump shotgun prices now. I haven't used one, but supposedly they are good value for the money, using very cheap labor is the reason, of course.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote