Find
Notify
Tools

LOP formula?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted
Is there some math formula for determining Length of pull?

And is it more accurate than putting the stock's butt on the crook of your elbow and seeing how you reach the trigger?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Now that I have experienced "the correct way" of doing so at Chic Worthing's introduction, I will be happy to share it.

Go to a skilled fitter with a try gun and have him fit you.

I had this done by James Tucker at the ACGG/FEGA show in Reno in January. His stock measurements sheet defines length of grip, length of pull, drop at comp and at heel, and cast at heel and at toe.

Now that I know the dope, I guess I will have to have a stock made to fit. [Wink]

Sesriously, this is not a simple formula job, but a complex interaction of how you are build and hold the rifle.

jim dodd

[ 04-28-2003, 01:25: Message edited by: HunterJim ]

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Personally, the "crook of the finger" measurement is utterly useless. I am somewhat tall (38" arms), and I like my LOP's under 14".

What I need is a lot of drop at the heel, compared to "the norm". I've never had someone fit me a stock, but I'd be surprised if the LOP would be anywhere close to the "crook of the finger". That's just about 16" in my case. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote