THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identify a 77 tang safety....77 or 77V ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just sold what I believe to be a 77V to a gent (not on here) and when he got it he said the barrel isn't heavy enough to be a 77V. It is a red pad, early 80s, 26", tang safety, 25-06. It has a factory adjustable trigger. What say you...77 or 77V?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my friend had one of these in the late 70s. this is what ruger said at the time was a sporter. it was quite heavy for a sporter but that is what it was sold as. i do think they made it in the V with a true varmint barrel.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I didn't think the sporter's had adjustable triggers, but maybe they did. I hope to get more feedback from other Ruger guys.

This barrel has quite a bit of taper so don't just look at the tip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one like it and it is the 77. The 77V has a bull barrel and this barrel is similar in size to the magnums in the 77's. Mine shoots well but not what I would expect from a varmint weight barrel.
Hope that helps in your quest for info.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel definetely looks heavier than my 81 7x57.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the trigger - I thought(for what that is worth) that all of the tang safety models had adustable triggers and that the later models (Mark II) did not.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has a 24" barrel, it is probably a 77R.
If it has a 26" barrel, it is probably a 77V.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
looks like a 77r to me, all red pad 77's had an adjustable trigger.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 77V to me. The V barrels are like a Douglas 5 contour

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the diameter at the muzzle?

quote:
Originally posted by hardin284:
I just sold what I believe to be a 77V to a gent (not on here) and when he got it he said the barrel isn't heavy enough to be a 77V. It is a red pad, early 80s, 26", tang safety, 25-06. It has a factory adjustable trigger. What say you...77 or 77V?

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That heavier-than usual sporter barrel was used on the 70s "Round Tops". Mine is a .257 Roberts and has a 24" heavy barrel with a sleeve front sight but it is not a varmint model. My Ruger M77 in .220 Swift is a varmint model and has an even heavier 26" barrel with no front sights. If it will help you, I'll mike the muzzle of each to give you and idea of the size. I would be willing to bet a fired .218 Bee case that only the 26" barreled models were designated by Ruger as 77V.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardin.....
Big question is DID HE KEEP IT ???? If he kept it,, it wasn't to bad !!!!!! Ruger 77V's have muzzle diameters from .720 to .900 or any size you want if it is a custom......

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
for some reason the barrels on the 25-06's are like a heavy magnum contour barrel. I have no idea why they do this in this one particular chambering, I have seen some fairly recent production 2506 rugers have a medium heavy barrel on them, this is just how the regular ones came, they probably shoot pretty good I personally like a barrel with some meat on it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a 77v. My deer hunting buddy carries one. The barrel is almost the same contour as the barrel on my 300 Win mag tang safety Ruger ('76). I carried a 77v in .243 for several years deer hunting. They weren't bull barrels. More like a medium varmint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Seems like it may be either a 77 or a 77V Smiler Anyway, the guy kept it. I hope he enjoys it. I hated to let that one go.