New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield base with pop up aperture sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I did it again. I bought an FN sporter sight unseen; I guess I'll keeep my fingers crossed. One thing has me curious - the seller tells me it has a one piece Redfield base on it, that incorporates a pop-up aperture sight.
That's a new one on me. Has anybody here run across one?

[ 11-26-2003, 19:31: Message edited by: Tumbleweed ]

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they fold down behind the rear of the base and can be flipped up to use when the scope is removed.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I've got a Redfield Junior base with one on it. It is so high, (to see over the base) that it can't be used with the standard-height front sight. You have to put a very high blade on the front ramp to be able to zero it. It is really a Jim-Crack contraption, more of a selling point than a usable iron sight alternative to the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They used to be pretty common and are a neat feature -- theoretically (I haven't had a scope failure in nearly 40 years of hunting Mexico, the U.S., and Canada). At least they're about an order of magnitude better than the abomination of "see through" scope mounts (arghhhh!). I have them on a couple of Redfield bases, but have never tried to use them or even sight them in. However, if you have a truly anal-retentive personality, owning a rifle so-equipped might let you sleep more restfully.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of them lying around my shop and a few of the peeps also that can be installed on about any base thats square in back...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote