New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stripping Cerakote?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can Cerakote ceramic coating be stripped? If so, what kind of condition is the metal left in? I recently purchased a cerakoted Mauser and would like to have it stripped and then matte hardchromed.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about stripping by chemical means, I am pretty sure the answer is no. There is a possibility that there is something out there that will strip it, but I have never heard of it.

It can be removed by blasting with an abrasive media, but you are going to end up with a fairly rough surface. That surface could then be polished, but it would be a big job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I strip it off is to bead blast with glass beads, this removes it easily and will leave the surface ready for the matte hard chroming.

HTH

Tip

Posts: 51 | Location: canyon lake,texas | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baking Soda or Armex will also work leaves a smother finish on the metal .

There are chemical strippers that will also do the job , how ever the above method is what I would prefer .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Baking Soda or Armex will also work leaves a smother finish on the metal .

There are chemical strippers that will also do the job , how ever the above method is what I would prefer .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

I'm a bit fuzzy on your suggestion. Are you saying to mix these with water and let the chemicals do the work, or scrub/blast with them dry?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote