New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help for My Race Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Race gun that won't eject spent brass. It has a Springfield frame with an unknown slide assembly. It has a scope mount with a Tasco Pro Point. When I shoot it, the slide comes back and cocks the hammer, but does not eject the spent cartridge. The extractor works because I can cycle the spent brass by pulling the slide back by hand. One note. The spring seems really heavy on the gun. Can anybody give me some feedback on this???

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First I would call the smith that built it and have him make it right... or at least ask him what weight spring he installed. If you are sure the problem is just an excessively heavy spring just order several Wolff replacement springs in verious weights and see what weight works best. Typically race guns have extended ejectors installed to improve ejection reliability. If your smith did not do so have him install one.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both my raceguns run on really light springs, no shok-buff. (I assume that this is a super?)

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is the gun. What bullet and velocity are you using? what is the recoil spring weight? Does the pistol have an extended ejector?

I have had one case where the ejector was so flat faced that it actually ejected the case into the jug. The left side of the ejector (looking down on it from the top) should have a flat face ... so as not to put gouges into the brass ... but the right side of the face should have some angle on it so that brass gets sent into the ejection port and out of the pistol. This is more critical in a 9mm or Super.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Just because the extractor works when you work the slide doesn't mean it works when fired. Firing a round works the slide much sharper then you (and anyone else) can do by hand, and a marginal extractor may not be up to it. I had chipped Glock extractor like this. I could work the slide all week by hand without a malfunction, but put live ammo through it and it failed to extract about every third case. Every failure to extract would work fine when I simply ejected the mag., let the slide drop (bad for Glocks, BTW) and rack by hand. A new extractor fixed mine. if yours is leaving the empty case in the chamber, look at the extractor first, it probably isn't catching the case well. Could be a weak extractor spring or gunked up too.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote