Find
Notify
Tools

Classic .303 British Sporting Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am thinking about building up a classically styled British sporter with express sights and a nice stock on a .303 Enfield action, either a No. 1 Mk 4 or a No. 4 Mk 1. Which action do you guys recommend and why? Does anyone have pictures of some of these rifles?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's a neat idea. The civilian sporters were some classic hunters for certain. If express sights are on the menu then the smle with the barrel rear sight would be my choice. The action would be more clean looking in my opinion, and would require less work to finish.

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
To me the golden era of theat genre was the Lee Speed sporters. Several have shown up on the net but frankly, a bare action might be hard to find. Just for practicality I'd use a No.1. I've been looking for a rear barrel sporting sight with ladder for some time now. If you find 2 let me know! Smiler

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
ALF, as I am reconstructing one of the slant box Rigby 303s could you tell me the barrel length on yours and the distance from the end of the front ring to the end of the forend? It looks like about 10 inches. Thanks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you find a source for the stocks in the classic Lee-speed style, let me know! I have a project in mind for a #1 myself.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY COOL RIFLE ALF!
Thanks for the disassembled photos
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Alf,

That looks like a triggerguard I'm squirreling away until I have some time and Yugoslavian bolt and receiver to try and mate it up with. It'll happen sooner or later.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote