THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What kind of cutter do you use to cut a plug in recoil pad?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of cutter do you use to cut a plug in recoil pad?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I'd like to cut a plug in a recoil pad that I can occasionally remove and replace to access the stock bolt on a BLR.

Does anyone know where I can get a specialized cutter?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I think you're looking for a plug cutter. Irwin makes one for sale at Home Depot, but Woodworking supply places also sell them:

https://www.woodcraft.com/prod...-cutters-1-4-3-8-1-2

The bottom of the plug cutter is tapered/sharpened, so the plug is smaller than the hole it makes. So you'd want to drill the hole with a smaller cutter and cut the plug out of a different/separate piece of rubber to fit.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Does freezing the rubber make it easier?

Last option - buy and fit a pad with plugs .

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Drilling soft rubber!!!
I'd want someone with experience drilling rubber with a plug cutter, before I bought one.
Freezing?
Will I be the one to do this experiment?

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I will take any volunteers

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 45 Long Colt case sharpened on the inside of the mouth, with the primer hole drilled and tapped for an arbor. There's probably better ways, but it worked. Make sure you lube it, I use soapy water.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What does everybody think of using two 375 HH cases? One cut longer than the other. Cut the hole in the pad with longer one and cut a plug from a piece of scrap pad with shorter one which would be slightly larger in diameter to get a good tight fit?

You know my next question - who has a couple of spare 375HH and cases and some scrap black recoil pad?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How are you going to remove the plug?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am thinking a small slit cut in the center and a pair of needle nose, into the center and apply outward pressure and twist out or grab the center and the edge and pull.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made one from 1/4 inch steel tubing, sharpened on the edge. As mentioned above, don't count on reusing the plug. I used this cutter for a customer who wanted to be easily able to remove his pad and replace it with a shorter one for winter use. Pads were Pachmayr Decelerators, and customer was happy.

On another note, the Silvers pad comes with plugs.

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you want to install a center plug hole large enough for a fitting (socket?) to remove the centre bolt without removing the recoil pad. If the centre bolt only requires a screw driver then a small slit in the rubber is all that's required after the pad is removed to drill a corresponding hole through the recoil pad backing plate.
If you do not intend to remove the centre bolt that often then why not just remove the recoil pad. It should only have invisible slits in the rubber for the two retaining screws and if proper lube is used on the screw driver shaft the slits should not be damaged as the recoil pad is removed with no need to pull the screw heads back out through the rubber.

It is possible to install soft rubber pads such as Pachmayr pads so the screw holes or slits for them are invisible. I don't have any time for pads with plugs, they invariably end up looking tatty as they age.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't leather covered pads usually made with plugs? They seem to look good. Ask someone that does them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He wants to remove and replace the plug; and no, I've never seen a leather pad with a plug. Why would they need a plug?
Some rubber pads did have plugs, but they are not intended to be removed and replaced.
Also, on all the Pachmayr pads I install the screw slits are invisible; if they are visible, you are doing it wrong.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Option B;

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I like it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, I reckon there's things you haven't seen, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You need to get out more Big Grin Pretty commom, in fact. Here's a link to Dewey Vicknair putting one on a Holland & Holland. https://vicknairgunsmithing.bl...pad-for-holland.html

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I;ml thinking you are going to end up here for a takedown:

Then you can add Stock-Cutters Anonymous to your handle... ;-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would they need a plug?

With a two piece stock removing the butt stock for mainitance.

Is very common.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok. I like the smooth type better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn’t exactly what you’re asking about but should be instructive and there’s photo’s of his homegrown plug cutters.

D’Arcy on widows peaks.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know the product name for this Beretta aftermarket accessory.

Can't seem to find it. Trying to see if any are available on ebay or whatever? Seems Beretta doesn't make it anymore.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought I had a black pad that is 5" long. Unfortunately it's a decelerator pad so the underside is honeycomb.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
thanks for looking

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lathe turn a thin tube the size I want the plug to be, sharpen one end and lube to get the rubber plug out. Works best on 3/4" or 1" pads. All recoil pads I install (not many) have matching flush mounted plugs and are fully removable withOUT damaging hole in pad. Always look great often hard to find the plug.

Cross CUTTING THE pad hole always shows ragged edges, especially the second or third time removed. Most of mine have been on Quality custom stocks especially two-piece with through-bolt installation. The most difficult part on the entire process is removing the plug from the cutter by pushing out from one end.

I hate leather covered pads and don't do the. They are slippery, wear quickly and nobody ever gets the leather truly flush with the stock. JMHO!

This pad came with plugs.

This custom Krag has a 1" black Pachmyre.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1824 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
All recoil pads I install (not many) have matching flush mounted plugs and are fully removable with damaging hole in pad

"Cross drilling pad hole always shows ragged edges, especially the second or third time removed."

Steven,

Did you mean "without" damaging the hole as opposed to "with".

What do you mean by "cross drilling"?

Thanks!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should have two plug cutters...one to make the plug (I use cork on leather covered pads) and, of course, the other to cut the hole in the pad.

I've made these from steel tubing, just use a checkering file to make the cutter teeth.

As far as leather covered pads, the goal is really to fit it up so the leather stands proud by 1/2 thickness of the leather...I like to use 1-2 oz pigskin

Posts: 3614 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Thanks for catching my typo, yes Without damaging...
I should have said cross cutting, as with cutting slits in the pad for the screw with an exacto knife.
Hope that makes it clearer? I'll edit post~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1824 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECG has removable recoil pads.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Delloro - Thanks tu2 tu2 tu2

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I'd like to cut a plug in a recoil pad that I can occasionally remove and replace to access the stock bolt on a BLR.

Does anyone know where I can get a specialized cutter?

Mike you may give NC Ordinance a call. I had a Marlin in my shop a few months and could not find the correct buttplate. When I called them they were super helpful and said they do custom stuff also. I have no idea on cost but might be worth a phone call.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the plug hole will have to go all the way through to access the stock bolt.

You'll have to consider a bottoming stop of some sort.

I believe it was Perazzi that simply made a hole in the base, then a cross cut in the pad material.

They furnished a long handled allen screwdriver that went through hole and as long as you grease the hole, hardly any damage will occur.

The stock bolt itsdelf can be pretty easily modified , maybe replaced with an allen head

Posts: 3614 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I told him to do.