THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Brownells Water Displacing Oil, strip before reassembly?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells Water Displacing Oil, strip before reassembly?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tore down a Marlin 336 to smooth out some rough spots in the works. While at it I gave it all a thorough cleaning in water based degreaser and then rinsed in hot water, blew with compressed air and dropped it into Brownells Water Displacing Oil.

Do I have to strip this off before reassembling with gun grease and oil or can I simply wipe the parts dry?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used the Brownell's product, but I use a similar product, Dulite's WD oil. Just wipe it down and you'll be fine.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaks Mark, I asked because I hear that WD 40 will eventually dry and gum up the works but I guess this is completely different stuff.

Thanks again,

Rob

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob

About 5 or 6 years ago I ordered a gallon of Brownells water displacing oil for treating gun parts after being hot blued.

I started noticing little brown spots appearing on my work. About the size of a pin head or smaller but lots of them. They were really hard to remove, I had to scrub them with a rag and solvent. Turns out the Brownells oil had the same stuff in the bottom of the can, looked like gooey varnish. I poured the oil off to seperate the varnish but it must have been suspended in the solution as well since the problem persisted.

I talked to another gunsmith in the area and he experienced the same thing. Both of us quit using it. I dont know if this was an isolated case or not.

I started using ATF as an after blue treatment and am very satisfied.

In your case,after the gun has set for a couple of days, take it outside in the sunlight and inspect it for these funny little brown freckles, if you find any, get them off as soon as possible. The longer you wait the harder it is to get them off.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I've also noticed that stuff at the bottom of the can when I pour it out. I figured it was probably the water and rust precipitating out of the oil after it had been used so I always leave it in the can when I use the oil. I just checked my Marlin which has been out of the stuff for about a month and no problems yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

I'll probably go to ATF soon also, cheaper and nicer color. Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Cut the ATF with diesel. It will creep better.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I also use ATF after bluing but I may try Bill's idea of thinning with diesel fuel.

Remember, Brownells is in business to sell stuff and a lot of the stuff they sell you really don't need.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote