New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells Acra-Gel ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wondering if anybody here that uses the Acra Gel have had any problems with the bottle of Resin going bad. Mine looked like it had almost crystalized, you could still stir it but it had little crstylaized particules in it. I put it in a pot of water and heated it up for about 30 Minutes and mixed it up and it went back a creamy consistentcy{SPL}. I have another kit that i bought about 2 months ago and it is the same way. I was going to use for a light skim job, What do you think, would it still be good or chunk it? Thanks Karry

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You are using the proper method for heating it from what I have heard. I had some that had turned dark brown(old) that did not crystalize but it cured up flaky and soft so I threw it out. I would mix up a small test batch on a piece of cardboard and see how it does. Good Luck!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem from my last order and called Brownells about it, they told me they know all about the consistency problem but assured me the product was good to use, they also reccomended I warm it up to bring it back to a creamy paste Confused, sounds like lots of guys have been complaining. I used it as it was and found that it didn't give me the same smoothness I was used to in the past, I will try warming it up next time, just wished that I used something else instead of fooling with it.
bigbull

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to me. I warmed it up a few seconds in the microwave, and it smoothed up just fine. Wait till the wife leaves. I tried it after mixing it together also to try to soften it some, and it worked just like it was supposed to. You might give it a try.

Posts: 24 | Location: Elk Country Idaho | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, right after i posted i mixed up about a teaspoon and let it set on the bench. After about 1 1/2 hours it was already fairly hard and warm to the touch. So i went ahead and mixed some more and went on with the job. Should know how it turns out some time sunday. Thanks for the help, Karry