THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Almost complete! Ralf Martini 404 Jeffery for my buddy JJS.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost complete! Ralf Martini 404 Jeffery for my buddy JJS.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
My friend JJS sent me these pictures Ralf Martini sent him of his rifle that's almost finished. What a beauty! This is going to be a stunning rifle when complete. I find the detail amazing. Fortunately I live close enoungh to be able to see this one in person when it arrives. Can't wait!

JJS filled me in on all the details but I'm going to wait and let him pass'm on so I don't mess anything up.

Congrats to JJS and Mr. Martini for a fine rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ralph never fails to impress.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is about the most beautiful rifle I have seen done in the last couple years. The man is a master at his craft. I wish it were coming to live at my house...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
One thing I did forget to add. The rifle only weighs 8 1/4 pounds!

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning. Ralf said he was finishing a 404 that was going to be "classy". That was quite an understatement.

Not much room for improvement on that rifle.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That should settle the wood vs synthetic debate.

(But I know it won't for some folks)

Ralf's work is just impeccable. An 8-1/4 lb 404 Jeffery on a GMA action is quite a feat.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks for posting the pictures.

To say I am pleased at how this rifle is shaping up would be an understatement!

Some of the detail is difficult to see and the gold engraving is impossible to see in these pictures but the flat between the quarter ribb and the action is engraved 404 Jeffery, the barrel is marked with Ralf's firms names, the open sights leaves and there is an "F" for fire are all engraved in gold.

What's left to do:

1) Ralf is sending out the action to Doug Turnbull on Monday to be color cased. I am really looking forward to seeing Doug Turnbull's work!

2) Barrel will be rust blued.

3) Ralf was putting leather on the recoil pad yesterday.

4) I went back and forth on the checkering and finally decided to have Ralf "flat top" checker the rifle. It is somewhat of a "trademark" on the SS rifles Ralf makes and knowning he is one of just a few that can execute this style just seems to add an additional special touch.

5) Ralf will then sight in the rifle, file the open sights in, and ship!

I am hoping the rifle will be on its way here the first week of November....then to the range for some prep work.

My primary goal for this rifle was it had to be balanced, trim, etc, and about 8 1/2 lbs +/- and the styling to be classic with a few special touches...Ralf has done a fantastic job to reach these goals thus far!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Ralf's work is just impeccable. An 8-1/4 lb 404 Jeffery on a GMA action is quite a feat.

An 8 1/2 pound 404 is about a perfect Brown bear rifle. This one would be great one for a guide to carry for 11 soaking days on a peninsuala moose hunt - followed by another 21 days of clawing through alders, devils club and climbing scree slopes on Kodiak where it will be stashed in boats, covered in salt water, banged against packs, rocks, etc on a back pack hunt.
Yep, I'd leave the synthetic 375 home for this one.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Why not?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, can't wait to see the final product!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
An 8 1/2 pound 404 is about a perfect Brown bear rifle. This one would be great one for a guide to carry for 11 soaking days on a peninsuala moose hunt - followed by another 21 days of clawing through alders, devils club and climbing scree slopes on Kodiak where it will be stashed in boats, covered in salt water, banged against packs, rocks, etc on a back pack hunt.

You should take better care of your gear.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Yep, I'd leave the synthetic 375 home for this one.

Good one, makes me chuckle in agreement and, btw, I really wish that you would write a couple of books on your experiences and opinions on guns and gear for serious wilderness hunting. Your writing on bears is the best I have ever read and I re-read your articles many times.

Ralf is defintely a "meister buschenmacher" and a really nice guy as well, the two do not always go together! This is a fabulous rifle and one any serious gun nut would be thrilled to own and use for as long as he lives.

Ralf turns out some superb synthetic stocked working rifles as well. My buddy has a 9.3x64 on a ZG-47 action which he got from me in a weak moment and he used it on our last horseback trek into the Chilcotin wilderness of BC. I have TRIED to buy/trade it from him as the balance and accuracy are just outstanding, but, the young varmint is too cagey for me.

Ralf will be shipping my original ZG 9.3x62 this week, he told me a couple days ago and I have several more rifle projects at his shop and others to send him. He really is a guy who knows how to build a rifle that one can be proud of!

Again, gorgeous rifle, you have superb taste and I wish you outstanding success with it....bring it to BC and hunt the East Kootenays with it, in Sept., before the annual autumn monsoons begin. Some very nice Grizzlies in that region and some of the biggest Elk in North America.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ralf turns out some superb synthetic stocked working rifles as well.

So does Ralf personally see practicle sense/advantage in them for hunting in harsh conditions[or to achieve a particular weight goal?]
...or is it simply a matter of good business sense to gather work for the shop that one might otherwise miss out on?... Smiler
could well be both,whatever the reason[s], he has put his name to them.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ralph is married to a serious hunter and , unlike many in the guild, really understands the demands placed on rifles that actually get used in the field.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Ralf turns out some superb synthetic stocked working rifles as well.

So does Ralf personally see practicle sense/advantage in them for hunting in harsh conditions[or to achieve a particular weight goal?]
...or is it simply a matter of good business sense to gather work for the shop that one might otherwise miss out on?... Smiler
could well be both,whatever the reason[s], he has put his name to them.

Ralf started here in northeastern BC, on his own and I first spoke with him then just before Martin Hagn asked him to join with him as "Martini and Hagn". Hagn is a genius at rifles and has built some truely awesome pieces, but, I gather is semi-retired now.

When, I first spoke with Ralf after the merger, they were largely interested in doing only highend custom work, BUT, these two fine gentlemen took the time to help a stranger over the phone with a problem with my Merkel drilling and did so without asking or accepting a payment....pretty dammed decent, IMHO.

In more recent years, Ralf has evolved into doing more general gunwork and has a couple of guys working for him. The chap who recently installed the Micky "Hill Country" stock on my old Dakota 76 is Jan Kolenbrander and he did a PERFECT job, just superb.

It is a great thing for we BCers to have a guy like Ralf and his fine crew here and many of us get him to do various jobs and improve our muskets. My impression is that he is a sound business man and his wife, Mandy is also a great person to do business with, so, doing these synthetic stocks, various improvements on guns and restorations is just a good deal for all concerned.

I have two minty Brno 21 series actions and one Kreiger CM barrel, two Argy bottom metals and some other goodies. I am thinking, IF, I can find the coin, of two matching rifles, a synthetic-stainless barreled one and a wooden stocked masterpiece, both in .280 Rem. I dunno if I can swing it as my wife is disabled and probably will never return to her career and she is adamantly opposed to my going back into the bush to make some coin....but, it's fun to dream about these things and Ralf is the guy to do it.

So, all in all, he just seems to do what the customer wants and that is the way a business prospers, IMO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

.. and , unlike many in the guild, really understands the demands placed on rifles that actually get used in the field.

.458win and Dewey,
Ralf through sheer demographics, means he bound to have enquiries and potential for work, from folk that more regularly hunt in harsh conditions, apart from those across border types who order safequeens.
... jumping

Ralfs' $3k custom integral feature barrel [mauser] imprisoned in hideous inert plastic!!

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for all the comments about the rifle.

Dewey, well said! Ralf and Mandy have been a pleasure to deal with, are exceptional individuals, and make a great team!

I have had a great experience in having this Rifle built. Ralf and I have had many lengthy discussions about what I was looking for, in general and specifics. Based upon his experience, reputation, and one phone call, with him, I felt I could trust him. His execution is without question, in my mind and he knows exactly what this rifle is built for...simply put it is a DGR.

The ability of this rifle to function flawlessly was alway first and foremost....It just ended up a little nicer than expected Wink...Ralf and I put a bit of thought in all that as well....the Engraver did an exceptional job of putting "thoughts" into place, kinda nice when a plan comes together Smiler...I had the rifle blank since 2006 (cut in 1999) just took me a little longer than I initially thought it would but that's another story (not as nice a story) Roll Eyes

This rifle his heading to Tanzania (Masiland) next month! Darn, I going to have to spend a good bit of time away from work to put a few hundred rounds through the rifle in the next few weeks Smiler. I have approximately 100 rounds of hand loads ready to pinpoint an exceptable load, as well as 4 boxes of Hornady DGX and DGS to give a try as well...should be fun and looking forward to it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.....can't wait to see it posed with a couple of buffalo. Ralf Martini is one of the best, plus honest and easy to work with.....congratulations!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous rifle!! Ralf is truly a master.

If its going out for color case hardening tomorrow, I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks before sneaking down there to see if I can get a peak before it gets sent to you. Smiler

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:

In more recent years, Ralf has evolved into doing more general gunwork and has a couple of guys working for him. The chap who recently installed the Micky "Hill Country" stock on my old Dakota 76 is Jan Kolenbrander and he did a PERFECT job, just superb.

I wonder if that is the same Jan Kolenbrander that was in NZ for a few years. He did a few bits and pieces for me but there was not enough work for a smith of his capabilities in the smaller custom market here.
He was heading for Canada and if it is the same guy then I can second the wide ranging skills he has. A real nice guy and deserved to be with someone of note like Ralf.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think so, I have never met him in person, just spoke with him by phone a couple of months ago, when they did my Dakota, but, he is a Dutchman and was in N.Z. before coming to Canada.

The REAL "custom" market here is very small, as well and a shop like Ralf's benefits from the "bread and butter" work of customizing various peoples beloved thundersticks and this will keep cash flow going during lean times when many cannot afford their full custom dream guns.

All three of the boys working there are highly trained and skilled machinist-toolmakers, not mere hobbiests and are also active hunters and former professional military and LE snipers...and, this is important when one orders a rifle that WORKS the way a serious rifle should.

I like a rifle that has everything you NEED for versatile function in the worst conditions and BC is pretty harsh country, with ambient temps from 114*F to -60*F and wet, steep and heavily forested in most regions. I want it to have nothing that is not needed and to be capable of taking abuse and still working...and Martini's just seem to "get it" in this respect.

My buddy had Ralf's personal Mauser 8x68S here and we had to tighten a swivel base so had it in my basement, in my gun vise, out of the stock. The whole rifle, although the thoat was eroded due to a lot of use, had this elegant, balanced and lively feel and handled like a hunting rifle should....Ralf could not part with it, so, my buddy traded him back.....like many of us have done, no doubt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I chatted with Jan on the phone a couple of Saturdays ago about a recent goat hunt he was on. We had a few chuckles over some of the rigors of Mountain hunting and talked gopher sniping for a bit as he comes to a neighbors to do that. Ralph and his gang are great people.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJS,
Anybody would be terribly proud to own that rifle. If you use it as a paddle, baseball bat, or just put it in the safe, it is your call and nobody else. They didn't pay for it.
Just a beautiful rifle!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks,really appreciate all the feedback! In fact, without AR and the good friends I have meet here, this rifle would not exist.

Several folks have sent me PMs asking a few questions about the rifle and I thought a would add a bit more information here as well.

1) Action is a Granite Mountain Std. Mag.
2) Barrel is a Krieger that Ralf profiled and measures 24". Twist is 1:14.
3) The square bridges are cut for Talley mounts.

Next pictures of this rifle will be in the Custom Gun Forum! Yippee! dancing

Best,

jjs

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stippling on the aft end of the front sight base is one of those "small details" that leaves me in awe.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Guys,

Thanks,really appreciate all the feedback! In fact, without AR and the good friends I have meet here, this rifle would not exist.

Several folks have sent me PMs asking a few questions about the rifle and I thought a would add a bit more information here as well.

Best,

jjs

What pattern and color camo are you painting it?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ralf and I have had many lengthy discussions about what I was looking for, in general and specifics.

Hah!

Thanks to you, jjs, I'd get the whole thing commissioned in one short sentence:

"Ralf, I'll have exactly what jjs had!" Big Grin

Simply superb, in conception and execution, both!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Guys,

Best,

jjs

You know that's just one detail I forgot but what do you think about Ruger Green?

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
The stippling on the aft end of the front sight base is one of those "small details" that leaves me in awe.

It was the nicely radiused section on the rib from the reciever to the sight island that really got my attention. Many details that are stuning.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Phil..... stir
haha

And Phil...you should write a book on guns and such for bears and some bear hunting stories. Great Read For Sure.
Maybe just compile a lot of articles from the years gone by.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle, I have not seen one come from Ralf that wasnt.

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very,Very nice! I really like the quarter rib and the engraving.The whole rifle is pleasant to look at.It seems to me that the rib is longer than the ones Ralph made in the past.This one extends as far as the ebony forend tip.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Very,Very nice! I really like the quarter rib and the engraving.The whole rifle is pleasant to look at.It seems to me that the rib is longer than the ones Ralph made in the past.This one extends as far as the ebony forend tip.

Thanks!

What does Ralf have in mind for your rifle(s)?

Best,

jjs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Guys,

Best,

jjs

animal

But, it is a very nice looking rifle. . . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Thanks!

What does Ralf have in mind for your rifle(s)?

Best,

jjs
I got two actions at Ralph's.One is a Vektor and the other a Satterlee.The rifle that he is working on now is the Vektor.Both rifles will be chambered for the 458 lott.The Vektor will be an open sight rifle only and the other could be used with a scope.The Vektor was originally a 416 Rigby action with double square bridges.Ralph rounded off the front square bridge and ordered a new bottom metal from a freind of his in europe.The new bottom metal is for a 404 Jeff,the 375 being to narrow.It will be made to accept the lott cartridges.It will have a Krieger barrel and a quarter rib similar to yours.He is going to send me the barrelled action in a stock that could be molded and adjusted to fit me perfectly.I will then send it back to him so he could use it to make the stock.Ralph told me he was going to keep the original bolt handle and install a mauser type safety.He is also going to check and see if the rifle would look better with a ebony forend tip or not.I don't know if he is going to tint the wood red or not.He doesn't like light wood.He was not sure if he was going to color case harden the action or if it could be done at all.The message I've been sending to him all along is that he should do whatever he feels will work and not listen to me much.After discussing the rifle with him a few times,he must have picked up the things that I thought were important and gave them some thought.I think I'll probably see a picture of the barreled action soon and when I do I'll post a picture.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
shootaway: The message I've been sending to him all along is that he should do whatever he feels will work and not listen to me much.
Good idea, you can bank on whatever Ralf tells you.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd take this rifle to Africa, but not Alaska nor a mountain hunt - too beautiful to even nick!

I spent 2 weeks in Alaska - thank goodness for my Remington Sendero. I can't even imagine what the trip would have done to a rifle like this!!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yippeeee!

The rifle is on the way back to Ralf from Turnbulls!

Hopefully, Ralf will have it next Monday or Tuesday and then on the way to me the end of the week! dancing

If I was not so darn busy, I would head up to Canada to fly that puppy home! Only good thing about that is saving some airfare to apply the $$$ towards the next rifle from Ralf!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a gesture of good fellowship, I am willing to "store" it here in BC for you and it will be guarded by a pair of the finest purebred Rottweilers you have ever seen. I will not even charge a fee and since I have one of Ralf's guncases here, he could very easily ship it to me, just in time for Christmas......

What can I say, that rifle makes me go weak in the knees and the temptation is worse than having Raquel Welch in her prime crook her pinky at you while attired in a sheer negligee....

Smiler Smiler Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! And it is gong to look that much better when Doug's folks do the case coloring! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote