Find
Notify
Tools

Browning on a sako action ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in a gun store a few days back,
and this guy had a few rifles I was intereted in as a basis for my next project.
There was a late 40s model 70 that was reworked by someone, a model 70 classic that was in good shape and not as expensive, and the one I found most interesting was a very prety little browning. The barrel was marked browning (chambering was .308.)It was clearly a sako action.
I may not have givin you enough info here, but is this short action long enough to build say a 65X284 or a .257 roberts ? I would not have a problem building say a .260 remington or a 25 souper but I like the mauser length rounds ,and the 6.5X284 would clearly make a great lightweight rilfe for anyting up to caribu, is this action likly to be long enough.(by the way the stock has a repared crack near the tang) and I think i can buy the rifle for about 450.00) ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thomas, The Sako action you are looking at is indeed surburb for the .308 family of cartridges (.243 - .358 Win.) I have a medium action (579 via H&R round top) which is a 6mm/284, and a .257 Ackley on another medium Sako, and the bullets need to be seated too deeply for my tastes in a repeater in either of these rifles. Also working with a Rem 700 short action in 6.5/284. This is also way too short for optimal cartridge length, but a phenomenal cartridge in accuracy and ranging abillities. Bottom line is if chambered properly the rifle would make up into a great 6.5/284, however it might not feed so smoothly, and the 140 grain and above bullets would be way deep into the case. I think that greatest happines would be found in the .260 Rem at 24 inches, medium heavy sporter. Good luck

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thans for the reply !
It ill be awhile before I can start another project but if it is still there I may go for it...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas: Browning used the L579 Sako for .22-250 (even before it was a factory cartridge!), .308, and .243, and also made a small run of .284's on it. As the poster above mentioned, the magazine is a tad short for optimal bullet seating when using the .284 case. However, if you are content with seating your bullets just a little deeper than normal, the action can be used successfully for the .284 or any of its wildcat offspring.

Be forewarned that scope mount bases are just a little hard to come by for this action, since it is made with a round, rather than the standard dovetailed, Sako action. You can usually come across a Redfield or Weaver base on one of the interenet auction sites.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote