New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney trigger for Model 70
 Login/Join

<jdllyons>
posted
How much, if any, gunsmithing is required to install a Timney replacement trigger in a Model 70??

Is this something that someone with a little mechanical aptitude can do??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to? You'd be replacing the best hunting trigger out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boltman has a point. Winchester triggers are very good if adjusted properly, only the factory does not adjust them properly. I have a stainless 338 that was 6.5# pull weight from the factory. I adjusted it down to 3.25# and it made a world of difference. The pull weight is simple to adjust, but the travel adjustment should probably be left to a gunsmith, because it can be very dangerous if incorrectly adjusted.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Model 70 trigger is one of the finest designed triggers for a hunting rifle I know of. It can be adjusted to a very crisp light pull and will stay that way. It is very strong and not enclosed in a housing like the after market triggers. Triggers of the Timney design are good unless you get sand or grit in them, or allow old oil to gum up in them, then they will fail. That will not happen with the Model 70 trigger.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree your going backwards...Have a good smith work on that M-70 trigger.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<jdllyons>
posted
I appreciate the responses. I have already adjusted the pull weight down to a reasonable level -- it is a lot better than the way it came from the factory. I still need to use a trigger pull gauge just to see where I am at.

I guess I will make the trip to my local smith and have him clean up the hammer & sear a little.