THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

home device for galvanizing or nickel coating?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I wonder if there are devices for galvanizing or nickel coating of fire arms to buy. TIA
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Danny--

Galvanizing is not suitable for firearms use at all. It's zinc based and pretty fragile as well as ugly with a poor "feel"

Plating is an electrical process and is available from Brownell's in a small kit form for triggers, hammers, and other small parts but to do a whole gun you'd need a larger power source, chemicals, tanks and a LOT of envioromental permits and licenses.

There's a a lot of pollution involved with all plating processes and most local governments control it tightly.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
http://www.electroplating-electroplating.com/ Don't know a thing about them, but they were easy to find. Galvanizing on a gun? What application?

[ 05-16-2003, 16:57: Message edited by: 8MM OR MORE ]

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Danny - I would only consider electroless nickel plating. It gives a near impervious coating (no porosity - we used it all metalwork on underwater mines to prevent corrosion problems), coats evenly all the way down threaded holes and barrel bores. You can treat it to end up with a hardness of 1000 Hv (> 70 Rc).

No high tech equipment needed. I believe that it can also be colored black - but I'm not sure on that one.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote