New
Find
Notify
Tools

polishing action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be a good way or a good material to polish the internal of the action such as rails, ramp, and bolt? I would like to slick up some of my bolt rifles to smooth the feeding. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells makes a Mauser action polishing bar exclusively for this task...

I made a polishing stick out of hard maple and fitted it by sanding to shape- worked great with Clover compound...

A Cratex rod on a mandrel cleans up the feed ramps nicely. I usually wire brush my bolts before bluing...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I will try get some wax from Brownells. Cheers! Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
ming,

Take it hunting to Africa, and after 3 weeks of that fine dust they have there, it will be as smooth as a hot knive in butter!

I am not kidding you, this is true.

Posts: 67409 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - do you remove all oil / lubricant from your rifle(s) before going to African to prevent accumulation of this dust ? what is the preferred method when going to a dusty hunting environment ?

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed for idea. This would be a little more expensive solution than I have anticipated. However, every serious hunter must make it to Africa at least once in their life time. I hope to be able to do it one of these days. Cheers! Ming