New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a big unwelcome surprise....Started to rust blue and the damn barrel is stainless! Of course, the rear sight, band and front sight are "normal" steel.

Not too receptive to some paint coating on a high dollar custom....(with some gold inlaid bands)

Alternatives?

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will stainless accept salt bath nitriding?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Winchester used to copper plate SS barrels and then blue that, or there is a formula for SS. Not sure if it will come out the same color as CM; but there are blueing companies that do it.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TiN coatings can be applied to stainless. I have seen some that come real close to a rust blued appearance in color. Search for TiN or VPD companies for firearms.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitride is the solution, but it has to be done properly.

There are a couple of considerations-

The polish/finish must be fully done prior to nitride and you can adjust the luster of the final product by how you polish prior to nitride.

Nitride will lock in any imperfections. Dave Tooley spoke on it when he was nitriding competition barrels. He said that it was critical to polish the throat a bit and remove any machining marks or burrs from chambering on the throat. If you didn’t, the barrel would copper up badly. He said you could either assemble it and break in the barrel with shoot/clean…or gently polish the chamber and throat.

Last, there are many versions of nitride…be very specific with your goals for hardness and surface finish. If you want the bolt head at X and the lug abutments at Y, you have to discuss how you will do this with the company. Their working temp may cause heat treat issues or melt solder if that’s used to attach anything.

It works. Mauser nitrides their barreled actions…the same ones used in $$$Rigby rifles. It looks good and is rust proof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There used to be a shop in New Mexico that blued stainless. They did the slides for S&W on their two tone autos. I don't know what process they used but it did look good. You might check around and see if they are still in business or if anyone knows how they did it?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Convince the client that it is the latest fashion.

In high end customs.

That he can carry it with pride.

As he has the only one on the block.

Semi /S/

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Convince the client that it is the latest fashion.

In high end customs.

That he can carry it with pride.

As he has the only one on the block.

Semi /S/

HA....only one in the world maybe.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of ideas to check out ..I'll let you know what I find

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitride. Done right it looks very close to a good rust blue.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was the client, someone would be buying a new barrel.

Posts: 187 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, and how about the labor expended on it so far?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Client was made aware and is satisfied with the arrangements...

On the good news side: Dave Thomas out of ID will do the bluing and not disturb the gold. Sounds like he uses a two step process, and has done it before.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All of this is why I don't take customer provided barrels. I procure them and that way I know exactly what we have. If someone sends me a barrel, I just send it back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the barrel stamped with SS or CM on the breech end for you to verify before work commenced?

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you have tested it with cold bluing before you started?

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
It is easy to be wise after the event.

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
Was the barrel stamped with SS or CM on the breech end for you to verify before work commenced?

NO!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larry miller:
Couldn't you have tested it with cold bluing before you started?

Coulda, shoulda, woulda

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I agree, and how about the labor expended on it so far?

Who's mistake.

Your mistake you eat all the extra costs.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
100% of All the barrels I use, have this on the breech end:

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
isn't that minimum caliber for you

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
100% of All the barrels I use, have this on the breech end:

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ha, yes for me, but sometimes guys want pest gun calibers, like 30s and such.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the time I used Robar/Wright Armory to finish a SS barrel on a Blued reciever, It was a compromise because the alternative was ss barrel and blued action that I did not want, the finish was a very attractive black satin that I think they called Chrome Sulfide at the time.
BB

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I put a barrel on for some one I always cut the end off with the saw about .125 long & include it with the barrel. That way customer knows what barrel he has. The boys think it's a nice touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ha, yes for me, but sometimes guys want pest gun calibers, like 30s and such.

Likely more moose have been taken by a 30-06 in AK than any other.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larry miller:
When I put a barrel on for some one I always cut the end off with the saw about .125 long & include it with the barrel. That way customer knows what barrel he has. The boys think it's a nice touch.

That is what my smith does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

That is what my smith does.

Gosh! What an outstandng comment!!!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mr Copper; you need to read more Elmer; then you would get the reference.
As for chopping off the ends of barrels and sending them to customers, now that we have cameras on phones, I just take a picture of it. Lot less work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther does not mark their barrels CM or Stainless. I have several Krieger barrels in stock. Most are marked CM...two of team are un marked...but they are CM.

On two recent job's, I needed a 1.5" dia barrel. Krieger was out 7 months. Douglas is at the most 1.3 (in the rough) Lothar's delivery was three weeks...no brainier!

Now I have a true story..goes back about 18 yrs. Received a barrel marked CM from a well know and respected maker.

Don't remember what causes me to be suspicious but sure a heck it was stainless.

And besides this latest..that was the only incident since I discovered I couldn't hold down a real job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that it will all work out. That Oxynate 84 seems to work well on stainless and meet the Duane Wiebe standard.

Posts: 181 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll.....so much for barrel stampings... Just received a Douglas 30 cal blank. It's stamped :

"30 CAL " and "10" No other markings ??????

And: Thanks Haverluck,! I was researching all the alternatives I could find. Dave Thomas is the man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I remember about Keith was Ackley saying he was full of hot air but he sure could shoot.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Another small bore barrel in my rack; there is no need for them to mark the CM ones, because they only make two kinds of steel barrels; all Stainless are marked. CM, aren't.
As for LW barrels, I will not own or use one so I don't know how they are marked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to test the barrel with a magnet. High quality stainless does not attract a magnet much if any amount.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True but the 400 series of stainless they use for rifles, is magnetic.