THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone building on Mauser 96 small rings???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a very nice small ring action and plan on build a .257 Roberts (or something similar) on it. Other than the Roberts, would you fellas care to offer up any caliber suggestions that would work well on deer?? This will be a budget build up...Adams and Bennett barrel with an economical wood stock. Are decent triggers hard to find?? I've used Timney's in my three other Mauser project guns.

The plan is to build it for my little cousin to deer hunt with. So I want to keep it light yet recoil at a minimum.

Any input you all could provide or suggest in the way of parts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 130 | Location: Armagh, PA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan I am a big fan of the .257 Roberts and it will do well on deer. The 7X57 is another good choice for this action.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought the 96 would be an ideal action for a 300 Savage and the pressure range is appropriate although I know lots of them have been barreled to hotter cartridges.
A fellow could build a sweet featherweight 300 Sav. on them with a reduced magazine etc to slim it out a bit more. Maybe a full length stock. Maybe full length straight grip. One day.

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Dan-

I've had various small rings done in 257 Rbts, 6.5X55 and 7X57. For a young shooter with easy access to a handloader, my personal favorite cartridge would be the 6.5X55. If handloading for the rifle is out of the question the 257 is a little better choice.

The Swede has the ability to "grow" with a young shooter that is unmatched by most other cartridges. My eight year-old daughter shoots a 6.5 with light loads that mimic a 257 or 243, yet full power loads can rival a 270. You can do much the same with a 7X57, but I find the 7mm "barks" a bit louder.

My $.02, but you'll have a happy cousin with any of the choices.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 257 Roberts is no slouch, and a 120gr at 2900fps is plenty for deer lopes, and sheep. The Roberts is a much better varmiter than the Swede too, if I was hunting Elk the Swede would be better, but I would use a larger cartridge anyway.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've got some time to get this rig together for Josh (my little cousin). He's three and legal age in PA to hunt is 12...but you know....I have to do load development and make sure the bullets perform well on game!! ;-)

Handloading is not a problem. I do more than my share already...another set of dies on the shelf won't hurt a thing. I have considered the Swede but would really like a quarter bore rifle.

My Dad built deer rifles for my brother and I but my uncle doesn't quite have the resources to take on such a project, so I'll gladly do it for him. Thanks for your help fellas.

Dan B.

<Paladin>
posted
So you know, Numrich Arms probably still has original, unblued, new Swedish barrels in 6.5x55mm, very inexpensive. They may also have some wood which can be adapted. If your budget is a problem, this might be a practical way to go. And, the 6.5mm seems to have a bit of an extra margin in killing-power....

Paladin

one of us
posted Hide Post
DanB (I like those initials, you must be a suave and debonair kind of guy LOL), I'm actually working on much the same project for a young beginning hunter myself. After much thought, I decided to stay with the 6.5 Swede. I think it is a very good cartridge to start a young shooter on, and as mentioned, it can grow with the hunter so to speak. I used a Bold trigger, they work the same as a Timney and are a little cheaper in my neck of the woods. Being as how Kimber chambered these rifles in .22-250 and .308, I don't see any problems in chambering one to 257 or 7 x 57. A while back I traded for one in 6.5-06, and it works and chambers wonderfully (it's extremely accurate to boot). I just keep the loads sane, and no problems. I think the Swedes are extremely under-rated, strengthwise. Hope this helps. - Da

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sporterized a 96 6.5 X 55 for my wife. Welded on a nice bolt handle, fitted a model 70 type swing safety. Drilled and tapped and contoured a Redfield Jr base similar to Leupold. Used a fixed 6 power scope. Shortened and recontoured the barrel. Polished to 400 grit then fine glass peened and hot blued for a rust blue appearance. Developed a fast stepping load with 129 gr Hornady spitzers. First season out she double lunged a 4 point buck and he dropped in his tracks, never took a sinle step.

The .257 Roberts is a wonderful whitetail cartridge too. Better than most people realize. I have shot several whitetails with this cartridge loaded with 100 gr Sierra spitzers and it kills them like lightning. Very little recoil, accurate and flat shooting.

Have you ever stopped to think..........the 6.5 X 55 and the .257 Roberts there is only .007 differance in the two bullets?

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys...budget is no a concern. I just got done building a few guns on M98 actions...a .30 Gibbs and 6.5-06. Both of those are my "beauty" guns. The one I am working on now will be a woods beater gun, meaning that if I mark the stock, it will add character...if I marked either of stocks on the guns I just finished, I would probably cry...for days!! But then when Josh comes of age, the small ring will be handed down to him.

Hey "other" Dan B....how about some of your pet 6.5-06 loads?? After last weekend I have some leads on accurate loads...shot some impressive groups with 120gr Sierra and 129gr Hornady bullets. My 6.5-06 won't be carried much for deer or varmints......it weighs in at 18 pounds!!! The 28 7/8" Shilen 1.3" diameter SS SM barrel and Fajen Varminter stock add "little" weight....LOL.

As for the rest of you buggers......I'll have to seriously consider the Swede. If my 'smith has the reamer, that will probably be the caliber of choice. The only reason that the Roberts is "ahead" of the Swede righ now is that I know he has the reamer. If he has the Swede, then it will get the nod.

Thanks again guys.........Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not in my office right now, so I don't have my load book with me (I really have to get modern and put all that info in my computer), but I'll post first chance I get. I recall that the most accurate load was with Sierra 140 gr GK's, around 2900 fps. That works more than well enough for me. I was quite surprised by this rifle (I shouldn't have been, every Swede I've ever had anything to do with was accurate)because I really just traded for parts. (aftermarket safety, trigger, stock, bases and rings) But I thought I might as well try it out before I tore it down, and what do you know, sub-moa. I just have to change the bolt handle (it has a home made custom, with target group engraved on flat bolt face) with something a little more understated, and refinish the rifle. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote