New
Find
Notify
Tools

M700 BDL buttplate replacement?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have BDL with a plastic buttplate that I want to replace with a thin recoil pad. Can anyone recommend a bolt-on replacement that doesn't require a lot of fitting? I don't want to cut the stock(wood)down or change the LOP very much.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't help you with knowledge of a thin pre-fit pad. I used a 1" Pachmayr, and the "prefit" had to be taken with a grain of salt. I.e. it sort of fit... I suspect many other "prefit" pads might suffer from the same problem - the stocks probably vary.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you are asking for does not exist to my knowledge. you can get smaller pads, but they add a full 1/2" to the LOP. ANd these do not come "pre-fit." If you are married to that LOP and do not want to cut the wood, you are basically stuck with what you have, or a metal butt plate that will have to be fit to the stock. THis will require modification of the wood.

Is there a reason not to cut the wood? If it can be cut many people can do a nice job of putting a pad on there. You can pick between .5", .8", or 1". You can get a longer pad, but I do not reccomend it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Marc pretty much called it.

I guess I don't understand not wanting to cut a Factory BDL stock. If you like the LOP have a good pad installed and not look back. There are plenty that will do an excellent job and not cost you and arm and a leg.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, its about a 95+% condition rifle, and I don't trust myself or any local gunsmiths to cut down the stock. I can grind to fit if I can find a thin pad or buttplate.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pachmayer RP200. 1/2. It might add a 16th to your length of pull once you loose the pastic plate and spacer(s). No metal insert. tape the stock and get out the belt sander. about 12 bucks. If you are real careful you can get it better than factory. Brownells can give you all the specs if you need a med or small.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the truth of the matter is that a 100% condition M700 is not really worth a premium, and you will do nothing to devalue it by putting a pad on it. If you do not trust a local, put the stock in a box and mail it to a professional who lives out of town. What you are asking for is very basic and almost anyone can do it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Blueprinted, I will check this pad out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark he can do like some guys do and call it CUSTOM. Some dick will probablly pay $100 more than it is worth LOL.

I still have a VZ24 for you to over haul. The house is all but done for the year, still figureing out what caliber. I will shoot you a P/M and dicuss everything with you on the phone in the next few weeks.