New
Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who makes 1 piece stainless bottom metal for a model 70 wsm. Williams is showing cromoly only.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Ted Blackburn and ask him. His order form shows that he makes a one piece for a "New M-70 Short Action" which I believe is the length action that the WSM calibers were made with. He doesn't say that he makes them Stainless, but I am sure that Ted could get a piece of Stainless to work with easy enough, or perhaps you could get it and get it to him. He is not cheap, Retail Price on that bottom metal is $425.00. Your dealer could get it for you for $370.00. The Model Number is #7.

Give him a call at 435-623-1388. Never know, he just might be willing to to make you one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making SS bottom metal is no problem...it's just that you need a certain minimum of pieces to jusify ordering a 20 ft bar of stock...and another 20 ft bar of stock for the floor plates and another 20 ft bar to make the latches...well...you get the idea...SS is approx 5x 1018 in cost...A6 is the Blackburn alloy...SS would be approx 10x for A6...numbers get out of hand real quick

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How bout winchester?

U356602480 WSSM 1 piece ss
U356602460 short action ss

Both of these are just the "frame" You will need the plate, pins, and latch as well
Go to there website and they have a PDF of the parts cataloge.

Good luck.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Making SS bottom metal is no problem...it's just that you need a certain minimum of pieces to jusify ordering a 20 ft bar of stock...and another 20 ft bar of stock for the floor plates and another 20 ft bar to make the latches...well...you get the idea...SS is approx 5x 1018 in cost...A6 is the Blackburn alloy...SS would be approx 10x for A6...numbers get out of hand real quick

Which is why I stated "or you could get it and get it to him". I am sure that there are steel supply places that get orders to cut from their 20 foot stainless bars and therefore have short pieces that they will cut from. Might be a bit more expensive for you to buy it this way, but in the long run you are going to have a well made custom piece that over a lifetime doesn't cost much per year of ownership.